Thirty Five

'For your first time, how do you feel about Madurai? You can be honest. Every city is flawed.'

Ivy, Natasha and Kiara occupied the backseats as Poorani's grandfather sat behind the wheel. Poorani was seated comfortably in the shotgun, often playing with her palms close to the AC vent, excited about the coolness that sprung out of it. The women ignored their discomfort out of their seating as they gawked at the view from the window.

As their eyes were often used to posh buildings and skyscrapers, that time, for a change, they saw quite the opposite. They studied from slums to small apartments, single and two storeys and roadside vendors. There were no signs of McDonalds or Starbucks or KFC. Cattle joined the traffic with automobiles. Not that the road users minded it. Even the smallest of the vehicles steered itself out of the heavy traffic. Many public transportation lacked air conditioning and there was no mass transportation, except for the buses. Even without much transportation developments, save for their best roads and traffic controls, the city was bustling and the people blended without any problem. Amazed at just one of the features, the women fell in love with the city's spirit.

Broken out of their trance, the women blinked at the question directed at them by Poorani's grandfather. Ivy was the first to let her words out. 'The city was amazing, Mr-'

'Krishna. Sorry, that you have to come along with us, without proper introduction,' said the grandfather.

The women chuckled. 'Excuse our manners, too, Mr. Krishna. I am Ivy, These are my friends, Kiara', Kiara nodded and waved, 'and this is Tasha', Natasha smiled and waved. 'Nice to meet you.'

'My daughter gave birth to a boy, three days ago and we are going to meet her. Poorani was telling me that you wanted to meet Paari to know more about the Foundation. He will be there in the hospital.'

Natasha piped in, 'Was his name not Jay? We– We kind of heard from one of the guides.'

Krishna chuckled and said, 'Yeah. It is. His full name goes by Jaya Paari Kumaran, the youngest of the Kumarans and the troublemaker of the village. His elder brother, Jeeva Pratap is my son-in-law. He came home from America to solve a familial dispute and the brothers somehow managed to solve the issue without much intervention. Got to give credits for them. Kids these days,' he sighed. 'Mandhira was telling me that he will be going back in a couple weeks after the baby is born. Say ladies, which country are you all from?'

The women were processing the summary delivered. They could now draw an outline of Jay's life in India. Ivy said, 'America.'

'Oh! You're from the same country. Paari is working for an IT firm in NJ. Are you guys around the place?'

Kiara said, 'We're from New York. It is next to NJ.'

'I see. Are you having a good time on this vacation? Usually the tourists often arrive during the summer. They seem to enjoy the hot weather along with the cultural and traditional events that light up the city. You know, until a few years ago, Paari used to participate in all the rooster fighting matches between villages, before he flew for the States. He personally tends to the rooster, feeds it and constantly checks on it. Being the naughty one he was, I wonder, that's why he had got those smart connections in the city. Jeeva, on other hand, knows quite the powerful ones. If you ever need help, let those brothers know. They will take care of things.'

'Sure they will,' said Kiara, winking at Natasha, who rolled her eyes back.

Poorani joined in the conversation, 'I was telling them about uncle Paari, grandpa. One of them told me that he had a charming smile.' She winked at Natasha.

Krishna cleared his throat, 'Sweetie pie, what did your mother tell you recently?'

'She told me not to talk about hooking uncle up with random women when he was about to propose to his girlfriend in America,' she looked at the window and muttered, 'You're a killjoy, grandpa.'