An unwanted visitor

'What the hell are you doing here?'

I threw my bag on the floor, staring angrily at the person curled up on my sofa.

'Oh nothing, just delivering my spare key - as you wanted - and... Seeing how you are.'

'Well, I'd be much better if I hadn't need to see you today!'

The day had been awful enough and the last thing I wanted to deal with was my Ex-Boyfriend, appearantly not willing to leave any time soon.

'So Ben had been sleeping here, mhm?'

Sitting up he pulled out a blue shirt from behind him and held it up. His eyes were fixed on my face.

'I don't think that's any of your business.'

Trying hard to control my anger I ripped it out of his hands, realizing with one glimpse on the Pink Floyd Logo that claiming it to be mine wouldn't be much convincing.

He opened his mouth, but I cut him off.

'Listen, I'm going into the kitchen now and when I come back you and any trace of you have vanished or I... Will definately freak out!'

It didn't really sound that threatening, but I didn't care.

'Ouh bad day, was it?'

Tightening my grip around the shirt so hard like I wanted to rip it into pieces any moment, I ran off into the kitchen. From the living room came a loud noise of something metallic hitting glass, soon followed by the clicking sound of the closing door.

I let out a deep breath, leaning onto the kitchen counter. My phone rang, I took it out. The display showed Ben's name. I stopped the call and threw it on the counter. My head was spinning so crazy I hadn't even noticed the tears streaming down my face.

'Oh fuck it!'

I somehow managed to turn on the radio before sinking down on the floor, pressing the shirt against my eyes.

Why do we have to try when everything is to loose?
It has always been just me and you and that's the hardest thing, the hardest thing to do...
(Pink, Is this thing on)

Perfect. This song sounds just as confused as I am.

Conrad and I had broken up just a few months ago earlier that year and I had convinced myself that focussing on work was the main reason why I got over him relatively fast. Now I wasn't that sure anymore. I had always believed that you're only really over someone when you felt truly atracted to someone else again. Other people who flirted with you and then left you flattered, but before you really fell for them, were the best way to heal a broken heart. Or just stayed without breaking it again.

The problem was it had been Ben who really helped me through it. Who I looked forward to meet every day. Who just made me feel better with his whole 'loving to swear, but trying to be gracious and embarrissing himself' - attitude. Could it be that I really... No. No, no, no I couldn't possibly fall for him now. I didn't need another heartbreak yet. I had to stop that happening before it was to late.