Chapter 31

April 2015

Carrie Ann's final show choir competition was at Jamie's school. I played piano for Jamie's group, but also doubled that with volunteering with Carrie Ann's, when I had the time, so I rode the bus with her school.

In show choir typically the mom volunteers are the ones who help with supervision and costuming and the dad volunteers were the ones helping set up the backdrops and risers right before a show, but since I was also working with a completely different choir I didn't exactly have the time to do that. I instead occasionally rode the bus and kept certain kids from getting too out of control.

I enjoyed it because it kept me closer to Carrie Ann before she left home, and I made sure that she was okay with it too. We rarely sit near each other; she has her own friends so I leave her be. That's not to say there haven't been times where she's sat further front by her own choosing.

Her school to Jamie's was the shortest trip she would ever take for a competition, so she didn't have to get up any earlier than on a normal school day. We arrived around 8am and confirmed that she would be on in roughly an hour. One of Jamie's groups went before her, so I stuck with them until she performed.

After warm-up and before Jamie and I were about to take our spots behind the risers Carrie Ann came up to us.

"Hey, last show of the season," she said, "good luck."

I was a bit surprised by this, "thanks Carrie Ann" I said

"I could say the same to you," Jamie said to her, "but something tells me you're not going to need it. You're one of the smartest and most talented people I've met, you'll kill it."

"Thank you," she said, "but really, good luck. This is my last ever competition and I sure as hell don't care about who comes on top. I want to have fun, and I will. But I've heard the way those kids talk about you. You're very important to a lot of them. Never forget that. You're changing lives."

Jamie appeared to be at a loss for words.

"Well, anyway, I've got to be changed and ready in five minutes, I better go. Again, good luck out there, to you and everyone else." she turned and dashed down the hallway."

"She was right you know," I said to Jamie, "I just never knew how to put it into words, and I think she did very well. You remember how important Mrs Wells was to you?"

"Yeah"

"Well, the roles have reversed. You're their Mrs Wells."