Chapter 14🐺

It's such an amazing feeling sleeping back in the comfort of your own bed. Dad and I have spent every day after school since he came back, spending time at Bluebell having dinner. This used to be our tradition when Mum was around and it feels good to get back to the swing of things, even though it's hard going to a table for only two, small reminders like that hurt and bring up all the feelings I'm trying to move on from, live life the way I should be to make Mum proud and happy. I feel like that's what she would have wanted us to do, continue as if she was here.
~
I start my hunt today, I'm eager to know what caused my mother's death if the police are inadequate to tell me I'll answer my questions myself. I walk down to the basement of the house around eleven o'clock, I don't have to be quiet as Dad is watching Orange Is The New Black loudly. I make it to the basement and close the basement door. I make my way over to the filing cabinets that Mum used to always put things in. This was the first thing that rolled around in my head all night. Mum used to always at least once a day put things away in those very drawers. I try to open the filing cabinet that has six drawers, there's a lock but I'm hoping and praying, it isn't locked. With force, I try to open the drawers. No luck. I run upstairs and grab a bobby pin. I always watch movies where spies or people lock themselves out and use either a bobby pin or a credit card to open the lock.  I walk back downstairs and head to the basement.

''Malia what are you doing?'', I didn't notice Dad saw me running up and down the stairs.

''Oh I was just checking my phone sorry to disturb you''.

''Alright please be quieter''.

''Sorry''. Says the one with the loud tv going I felt like saying.

I tiptoe to the basement, I shouldn't lie to my Dad as if I tell him what I'm actually up to I would think he would completely understand and say to continue. But I don't want to risk it or bring up more feelings and make him upset. I'll tell him later if I feel like it won't damage him.
~
I fiddle with the lock for what feels like an hour but in reality, it's been no more than ten minutes. I look over the cabinet, see a speaker and a microphone with a button. I tap the red button which starts to flash and a voice fills the room.

''Password'', a robotic female voice fills the room, not Mum"s a fake voice for sure.

"Um''.

''Incorrect''

The red button stops flashing.

What could the password be?

I tap the red  button again again.

''Password''

''Chloe''.

''Incorrect''.

I continue to try.

''Password''

''Chloe Martinez''

''Incorrect''.

''Kev''.

''Incorrect''.

''Kevin''

''Incorrect''.

I try every family member, mothers friends, her date of birth and where she's born.

By this time I spend over two hours trying to crack the code but there's no success.

It's Saturday, I still have tomorrow, I think to myself as I start to get frustrated. I head to my bedroom so my Dad doesn't expect anything and take out one of my school notebooks and a pen. I start brainstorming other passwords and come up with five other passwords I could try.

I run down quietly to try those five passwords.

''Incorrect''.

...