Chapter Thirty Seven

James prayed that he'd imagined hearing those fatal words.

But he could feel someone's gaze boring into his back, could still hear the echo of a woman's voice speaking to him.

This couldn't be happening.

Not now.

Not like this.

Not when Aleks was waiting for him at home, only just reassured by James's love for him. Not when James had fought so hard to earn Aleks's forgiveness.

Those words had nearly destroyed his relationship.

He'd be damned if he let them ruin him again.

Fuelled by waves of anger and desperation, James whirled around to confront the voice.

A young woman stood there, dressed in black, her blue eyes appraising James coldly.

"What the fuck did you just say to me?" James demanded, unnerved by her cool stare. He could only hope that she proved him wrong; that he'd never heard his soulmark after all.

But then he watched her face change, realisation dawning as she heard her soulmark uttered to her in return. One of her hands flew to her stomach, and James knew exactly what was concealed underneath her band t-shirt. "Shit, it's you," She whispered, her complexion clearing of ire. "I've found you."

"No," James said fiercely. He had to end this now. "No, you haven't."

The woman looked set to argue, parting her lips to speak.

James wouldn't let her. "You and me - this can't happen. This won't ever happen. I have a boyfriend."

"Wow, you're that guy?" She was glaring at him now, her earlier anger returning. "You think I automatically want to get in your pants just because we're soulmates? Fuck you!"

James faltered a little, surprised by her rapid, fiery response. But he couldn't back down. Not when he had so much at stake. "Your soulmark nearly killed me. I—"

"—You think that didn't happen to me too?" The woman snapped, cutting him off. "I nearly bled out in hospital from this soulmark!"

So alike to his own experience. James knew he was acting like a pompous, self-entitled jerk, needing to keep her from forming any kind of attachment to him.

But he was vastly aware of the other college students gathered nearby. Most of them were watching their confrontation, and a few looked like they were moments away from stepping in. It didn't look good; him yelling at a young woman, even though she was shouting back at him too.

James needed to calm down, before the situation escalated and spiralled out of his control. "Fuck," He cursed quietly. "I'm sorry. I'm being an asshole."

The young woman glanced around at their surroundings, also conscious of the attention they were getting. "Yes, you are," She said bluntly, unimpressed. "But I'm being one too."

Even though they'd only known each other for mere seconds, James could see exactly why the universe had bound them together. Her temper seemed to be so alike to his own. And she was clearly unafraid to call him out on his bullshit – much like his other soulmate.

"Besides, I bumped into you first," The young woman was still talking, also attempting to diffuse the tension between them. "I think that makes me the bigger asshole. I'm Lindsey Washburn, by the way."

Try as he might, James couldn't hate her. As much as he wanted to turn around and walk away; to pretend that this had never happened – he didn't have it in him. He wasn't the only one who had been through a life-shattering experience; she'd gone through it too. He couldn't just abandon her. "James Wilson," He replied, but he didn't offer his hand for her to shake. He was afraid to touch her. He was already closer to her than he'd wanted to be.