|TWENTY THREE|

I'm beyond pissed as I watch her walk out

It seemed like everything was slowly but surely falling apart. Ruby who I missed like crazy was back after all this time just for things to be so complicated. Maybe I am a liar, truth is I did lie to her about being an only child. About my mom having cancer. What could I say? We all have fucked up pasts and some of us use lies to convince ourselves certain things didn't happen. When I was younger my baby brother was just an infant fresh out of the hospital. A argument spiraled out of control and before I know it my dad is walking out with the baby and leaving my mom for dead. Heroine needles and crack all over the place. I held her in my arms as she died. I sat there with her for what felt like forever maybe even days. Crying, begging, praying for her to come back to life. It wasn't until a while later I realized she was gone and I was all alone.

I've hated our dad and Sa'Vonte for life because of it. What made it worse is that even when our dad was still here and alive Vonte hung onto his every word, worked with him, called him dad as if he didn't even care about what he did to mom.

And why did I lie? I lied because it's some things even I don't have the heart to talk about. I loved Ruby with everything in me and still sort of do but I could never bring myself to explain how messed up and sick that situation was. Hell Arin knows Vonte is my brother but even she doesn't know the truth about what happened to my mom.

It's just some things you don't talk about.

"Maybe you should treat her a lil better. It seemed like you were a little harsh on her..." Uri trails. I narrow my eyes at her.

"If you feel like that why don't you run yo ass on after her?" I raise my voice at my niece. For some reason I didn't buy anything she was saying about not knowing that Vonte got out today. She knew damn well he did. I feel like something fishy is going on and I'm being kept in the dark about something.

"Look maybe you should calm down." Ben suggests.

I mug him. "For what? Huh?! When her ass was just in here y'all let me say whatever and ain't care right?! Stand on that shit don't try and tell me to calm down when y'all wasn't defending her a minute ago." I say shutting everybody up. Uri just shakes her head standing she walks the same way Ruby had went moments ago.

"We get you under stress. None of us knew he would be back here. We didn't know." Will reminds me looking around the table his voice in a whisper.

Logan places his phone down. "Are you mad because he was alone with her?"

He has a point and I can't pretend he doesn't. And his question is answered as all of their eyes are on me and I say nothing. I actually felt my whole chest clench and hurt as I saw him sitting across from Ruby. And the fact that she wouldn't tell me what they talked about made it even worse. What does he want with her? What did he offer her? I know I can't control her fully because she's a grown woman she can make up her own mind but Sa'Vote is not the type of nigga she needs to be roped up with. She's safe with me and being around Vonte is dangerous. I'd hate for him to hurt Sadie and I'd have to kill my own brother. But I'd do that if it came down to it. I'd kill him for her. So to prevent all that I'm trying to figure out what they talked about. Instead of being soft and caring like usual the cruel fucked up me comes out. The me that always comes out when I'm around Sa'Vonte. Him and his fucked up ass father have a habit of bringing the worst out of people.