Chapter Seven: Monday's Prefect Duties

Tom's POV
  Tom was lost in thought as he waited for Evangeline. "The girl has proven to be quite intelligent. She has already gotten into the SlugClub." Tom remembered the annoyance he had felt when Evangeline got the invitation. Was he jealous? Well, that was one word for it.

"I worked to get into that club and all she had to do was answer a simple question." Tom saw Evangeline walk out of her dorm. "Multiple professors said that she could 'give me a run for my money.' Could she be a threat?" Tom looked over to Evangeline, who was laughing at a joke she undoubtedly made. "Yes, Evangeline Narcissa Silver was a threat." One he'd have to deal with.

Evangeline' POV

Tom and Evangeline started to patrol. Both of them barren of robes. "I assume you know the point system by now." Tom's tone was clipped. "I do, but I was wondering what we do when we catch someone." Evangeline's eyes wandered between Tom and whatever was in front of her.

"When?" Tom looked down at Evangeline. She could tell that he greatly enjoyed the fact that he towered over her. "Probably gives him a sense of superiority, having to look down upon me." "Well, we're teenagers. And this is a school with very little over age wizards. I'm sure there's something going on inside closets." Evangeline glanced at a portrait.

Tom made a noise of agreement. "Who are you planning on going with for the dinner on Sunday?" Tom suddenly asked, instead of answering. "Oh I don't know. I'm not familiar with anyone yet. Plus, I doubt anyone would want to go with me." Evangeline responded.

"Why is that Evangeline?" Tom questioned. "Who would want an assertive woman? One who has a pinch of intelligence. That type of person, most men don't want. Just because it threatens their masculinities." Evangeline huffed bitterly.

"Would you rather be like Irma, a whore?" Tom raised his eyebrows. "Don't call her a whore, Tom. If a man did that, he would get slapped on the back in congratulations." Evangeline snapped. "What could you call her then?" Tom asked.

Evangeline hesitated, she had forgotten that she was in the 40s. People were more 'proper' back then. "What those girls did was extremely inappropriate. They should be punished accordingly, but I don't think they should be called names."

Tom shook his head. "I'm just saying what she is." "Alright, Tom." Evangeline said softly. Tom smirked smugly down at her, however Evangeline didn't pay any attention.

Evangeline heard quiet sobbing, she walked away from Tom; determined to find out where the sobs were coming from. Coincidently enough, the noise guided Evangeline to the entrance of the 2nd floor girls restroom. Tom caught up to Evangeline. She walked into the restroom and the crying ceased.

"Hello?" Evangeline tentatively called out. A girl with mousy brown hair and circular glasses crawled out from one of the stalls. "Please don't give me detention." The girl's eyes were red and watery.

"Of course I won't." Evangeline pulled the girl up from the ground. "What's your name?" Evangeline asked. "Myrtle Warren." Myrtle was looking at the ground. "Well, Myrtle, dust yourself off and go back to bed." Evangeline ordered kindly. Myrtle started to brush off her uniform.

"Why were you crying anyway?" Evangeline asked before she could stop herself. "Olive Hornby was bullying me; calling me ugly and teasing me because I'm muggleborn." Myrtle explained.

"4th year Slytherin, Olive Hornby?" Evangeline schooled her expression into one of shock. In all honesty, she couldn't be surprised. Slytherins were known for their prejudice against muggleborns, especially in the 40s.

Myrtle nodded meekly. "Stand up for yourself from now on, and I'll speak with her." Evangeline advised. "I will from now on. Goodnight!" Myrtle dashed off to her common room. Evangeline walked back over to Tom, continuing their patrol.

"You seem to be good with children." Tom remarked. "There isn't much of an age difference." Evangeline said. Tom looked at her questionably. "She's what, 13, 14? Well, I'm 15." Evangeline answered his unspoken question.

"You're 15?" Tom asked incredulously. "My birthday is the 14th of February." She offered. "That would make you 16, though." Tom was evidently still confused. "I was born in 1927." Evangeline explained.

Tom was silent for a moment or two. "I'm 46 days older than you." Tom said randomly. Evangeline thought back to the biography. "You were born 31st December?" Evangeline turned to Tom, who just nodded.

The two had just rounded the corner when they heard noises. Evangeline's nose wrinkled when she realized that it was faint groans they were hearing. "We just got to school, couldn't they wait until later?" Evangeline muttered.

Tom laughed underneath his breath. "I dealt with Myrtle, your turn." Evangeline shoved Tom forward lightly. Tom glared at her jokingly. Tom walked towards the noises in the broom cupboard. He rapped his knuckles against the door forcefully. The noises suddenly stopped.

"Clean yourselves up and get out of there." Tom directed. Evangeline stood next to Tom as the two climbed out. Evangeline noticed the couple was a Hufflepuff and a Gryffindor. "Mr. Munslow and Miss. Garcia. On the first day back?" Tom shook his head in disapproval.

"Ooh good choice Beth." Beth Garcia held her head in shame, at being caught that is. "25 points from Hufflepuff and Gryffindor." Tom docked the points. Charles Munslow looked as if he was about to protest. "I suggest you both head back to your separate dorms unless you want more points taken." Evangeline warned.

Beth and Charles went off in opposite directions. "It's around 22:00, we should go to our dorms." Tom  turned, heading down towards the dungeons. "Would you prefer to shower first?" Evangeline asked. "I'm fine, you can go first." Tom replied. "Alright." Evangeline smiled faintly at the thought of sleep.

The duo made their way to the Slytherin common room. "Pureblood." Tom said the password and they walked in. Evangeline went straight to her dorm. Opening g up her armoire drawers and fishing out a nightgown and undergarments. Going into the bathroom, Evangeline locked both doors. Tom was in the bedroom left of the bathroom. He was sat in his desk chair, reading a certain book; 'Magick Moste Evile.'