Eighteen

Marlow sat in a gold ford focus as she listened to Jax talk with the car sales man. She didn't understand a word, but she felt complied to pay attention. Jax was asking the short bald man all sorts out questions about the engine and insurance, and for that she were more than relieved he were with her.

Then, the sales man gave a curt nod and walked towards what looked his office. Marlow raised her eyebrows, confused.

“I asked for a few minutes alone so we could discuss your final decision,” Jax explained. “Are you sure you want another ford focus?”

“Yes, I'm sure,” she nodded.

“A hundred percent? You could always try something different. I know you're curved towards a ford focus because you've had one before and you're comfortable, but wouldn't you like to get behind the wheel of something new?”

Marlow stifled her laughter. “Now you sound like the sales man.”

He wanted to smile, she could tell by how the corner of his lips twitched upwards, but he resisted. “I'm serious, Marlow. Soon, I'm going to let you drive my Mercedes and you'll realise what I'm going on about.”

“You're right,” Marlow confirmed. “I feel comfortable driving a ford focus. But there's another reason...” she paused, suddenly looking nervous. “My Dad drove a ford focus, you know, before he died. He loved the car. And, I know it sounds pretty dumb, but I feel sort of- I don't know, I feel obliged to continue on his love for the car.” She exhaled a struggled breath, fiddling with her thumbs.

“That's sweet,” Jax gave her a sympathetic smile. “Really sweet, actually. Thank you for telling me that. I know how hard it is for you to talk about him.”

“I will tell you soon,” Marlow mumbled. “I will, I promise. I just need more time.”

“The time is yours, Marls. I'm not going anywhere.”

She glanced up at his face that held so much longing, so much emotion, and felt her stomach fill with jitters. “So,” she cleared her throat. “About the car.

“Right. So the ford focus is a definite yes. What about the designs?”

“Designs?”

Jax grinned. “I see why you asked me to join you.”

“Yeah. I don't know a lot about cars. If I were here on my own, I would have bought the prettiest focus here and no questions would have been asked.”

“Well, I've asked all the questions for you.” He glanced down at Marlow who remained sat in the drivers seat, and then at the tires. “All to do now is sign some papers and pay the deposit. Do you need to go to the cash machine?”

“No, I have enough in my bank. Enough to pay the whole thing off, if it's aloud.”

The conversation that occurred at Ty and Kira's engagement celebration night was still fresh in his mind, so it was easy to understand what she were talking about.

“I can see you want to ask,” Marlow said. “Thank you for not.”

“Time is all yours, Marls, as I just said. I'm not going to push you into telling me anything. But, when you're ready, I'll be here.”

She nodded slowly, with pursed lips, and then took in a deep breath. “A couple months ago I were in the supermarket doing my weekly shop...” Marlow paused, to glance up at him. He stood, still, leant against the car door, also staring down at her with soft, soft eyes. “And I slipped on something. It was milk, I think. I didn't see it because I were too busy talking to Ty on the phone. Anyway, I slipped on my ankle and had to be rushed to the hospital. It weren't anything serious, but Ty insisted because...” she paused, again, “because my ankle isn't as strong as my left.”