Chapter Seven

Yesterday had been a real mess, and just when he had found something he had been called to the grand hall. And what a disaster that had been. And then upon having to go find Duraun, who had been in his room with a woman, which he found out was the lost princess of the Sil people, everything had just spiraled downward.

He sat by one of the windows in his room, the wall stretching long, full of floor length windows. Most of the drapes were closed. Vabelle was still asleep in the bedroom and he didn't want too much light filtering into the room while he had left the set of doors open ajar. He only had drawn open one curtain to allow enough light for him to see. He had found amongst the dusty journals right before everything had happened yester-morning something that he thought could help Vabelle. It was a stone. A special one, and the author of the journal had called it the Elitra.

However the more he flicked through the pages, the less he found on the stone, its origin and its powers. There had only been a little entry of it possibly having powers that could help one, but it didn't go into any details as to what that meant.

He put the journal down on the small table beside him, open where he was reading, and leaned his head back against the chair's top. The hard wood bit into the nape of his neck.

He would need to search out more information on the Elitra stone. It was something he'd never heard of. Even the stones the Sils used for magic, none of them had ever been called such a thing. At least not that Faelin had heard of.

He rubbed the corners of his eyes with two fingers. He had been searching for a couple years now and so far he'd found nothing that could help Vabelle's wing heal. He was determined to find something. And even if she told him to accept he might not be able to find something to fix it, he would go to every length and exhaust everything before he'd admit defeat.

He stood and looked out the window. The sight always took his breath away. It was different from Thracia where it was mostly water and mountains. The sights both were magnificent, and the two suns of Silistra still confused him. Even now he couldn't figure their sky crossing patterns.

He liked how the colors of the sky danced across the tops of the trees; painting the trees in colors of yellow and golds in the mornings and evenings and bright, crisp green in the afternoons. He turned around and found himself facing a sleepy Vabelle. She stood in the doorway rubbing her eyes with the back of her uninjured hand. She yawned and then opened her eyes and peered across the room at him with a warm smile.

"Hello, love," he said and moved until he stood in front of her looking down into her gold eyes.

He could still see the sleep in them as she blinked up at him a few times. "Hello." She smiled.

He always loved her smile. It could brighten his dankest of days.

"I think I have found something, that could help you," he said happily. He put his arms on her shoulders and held her at arm's length as he beamed down at her. He couldn't be more excited. Just the daunting task of finding this stone called Elitra, would be the hard part. He didn't know where to start first, but he was better off than he had been yester-morning. He had a lead to go on now. It was better than nothing.

"Faelin–"

He stepped back and held a hand, but an excited look saturated his face. "Wait, hear me out first! Remember that odd room in the wall I found by accident?"

She nodded.

"I searched through everything written in there. I found a journal, this journal!" He went out to the small table and picked up the leather bound book and brought it over to her for her to see.