Its the worlds fault

*
Trigger warning ⚠️
This does have abuse. If you are triggered by any type of abuse please do not read. There is also mental illness. depression, PTSD, and anxiety. Please if you are triggered by any of this please do NOT READ.

this chapter is written in Patrick and Ellen's POV.*

Patrick's POV
Today is my interview today for Mariah. Hopefully all will go as planned. I pasted back and forth thinking of all the possible questions they would ask.
"Relax, you'll do fine babe" Ellen said as she kissed my cheek.
Me and Ellen started dating ever since that one night. I know it's too early to say love yet. But I think I'm very close.
"What tie should I wear?"
"Don't wear one. Your interviewing for a kid not a job. No dress coat ether. Just the button up shirt is good."
"What would I do without you miss Ellie." I said as I gave her a kiss.
"Call me after?" Ellen asked.
"Of course" I said giving her a kiss and a hug before leaving the house.

Interview
I drove back to the orphanage and walked into Mrs.Green's office.
"Ah Mr. Dempsey, so glad to see you. Please take a seat"
A few minutes later another woman walked in with a briefcase and sat next to Mrs. Green.
"Hello I'm Trisha Woodmen, I'll be doing your interview."
"Hi, Patrick Dempsey, nice to meet you." I said shaking her hand and sitting back down.
"So, Mr. Dempsey-"
"Please, call me Patrick." I said with a smile.
"Okay then, Patrick your paper work looks great and this looks like a perfect fit for you and Mariah 3. I'll just ask a few basic questions and you'll be good to go."
"Alright then"
"So what lead you to want to adopt Mariah 3?"
"We just had this instant connection, like she was already my kid. I think I might be one of the only ones to understand her and I want to help her with all the stuff she's been through before she came here...and after she came here." I said looking at Mrs. Green.
"What leads you to think something is happening here?" Trisha said
"Well kids don't treat her very well and some staff have a problem with her."
"Um okay Patrick I think we are good here. Congratulations! You passed the interview, now you just need to schedule your home visit. Mr. Green can I have a word with you."

I waited for Trisha to come out of Mrs. Greens office.
"Trisha I was wondering if we could have the home visit today if at all possible. I really don't feel comfortable with Mariah staying here another night."
"Well I guess we can have Mariah come with us to the home visit this afternoon and am guessing things will go well and she can just stay there with you after."
"Forever?"
"Forever" Trisha said with a smile.
I walked to the study area of the orphanage to see Mariah putting things away for the library shelf's.
"Do you know where I can find the librarian?" I said tapping Mariah's shoulder.
Mariah turned and saw me.
"Patrick!" She yelled as she jumped into my arms.
"Let's go home." I said as I held her tight in my arms.
"Home? Wait I get to come with you!"
"Yes" I said smiling as I set her back down.
She pulled my arm the whole way to her bed.
"Come on, keep up!" She said as she continues to pull me through all the beds till we got to hers.
"I'll be right back. Don't move." She said running off in the other direction.
I sat down on the corner of her bed and heard a crinkle underneath the mattress. I lifted the side of the mattress to find a picture of me and Mariah at the fair. I picked it up and sat back down on the bed. I smiled at how happy she looked in the photo. I couple minutes later Mariah came back with all her other stuff from the bathrooms. We were almost ready to leave when Mariah couldn't find something.
"Where is it." Mariah said lifting up her mattress.
"You looking for this?" I said holding up the photo.
She tried to grab it but I held it above her head.
"Hey that's not fair!" Mariah said giggling.
She was jumping up and down trying to grab it. I handed it to her and held her hand as we walked out of the orphanage. I helped Mariah in the back of the car and drove home.
When we got back to the house Ellen was waving goodbye to the house inspectors.
"Aren't they going to inspect the house?" I asked Ellen.
"They did. I walked them through." Ellen said smiling.
Mariah went running into the house. I grabbed Ellen by the waist.
"Thank you." I said smiling at Ellen.
"I'd do it again in a heartbeat" Ellen said as she wrapped her arms around my neck.
I kissed her, pulling her closer to me.
"Ellie... I love you."
"I love you too" Ellen said with tears in her eyes.
We kissed one more time before going inside the house.
We found Mariah upstairs, exploring.
"Can this be my room?" Mariah said walking into one of the bedrooms.
"Of course" I said walking in behind her.
Mariah jumped on the bed and started jumping up and down. I picked her up and tackled her on the bed. I start tickling her on the bed. Ellen joined us but Mariah and Ellen teamed up on me and tried to get on top of me, they eventually got me. We laid there for a little. With Ellen on one side of me and Mariah on the other side, both on my chest. This was the life I've always dreamed of.

Mariah's POV
It was time for dinner and Ellen and Patrick said we could have a movie night. I was waiting in the living room while Patrick and Ellen ordered some pizza. I knew Patrick and Ellen liked each other. They are always making love eyes at each other, I can tell. It's the same eyes my dad would give my mom. God I miss them. I feel like I'm replacing them, I don't want to. But Patrick is amazing and so is Ellen. I wouldn't mind calling them mom and dad. But what if my real mom and dad get mad. I wish they were still here. But at the same time if they were still here I wouldn't of met Patrick or Ellen. All this stuff is finally getting to me. I don't deserve to be here, I already had parents. I don't get to have new ones when there are kids out there that didn't and still don't have parents at all.
I got so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize I was crying. Ellen came walking out of the kitchen and saw me.
"Mariah are you okay?"
"No...I don't deserve to be here."
Patrick walked into the living room with the pizza. And the smile in her face soon turned into concern.
"No don't cry, what's wrong?" Patrick said as he sat down next to me wrapping his arms around me.
I broke in his arms. It's the first time I've broke in a long time.
"I..I.. don't deserve to be.. here."
"Of course you deserve to be here. Who told you that?" Patrick said concerned.
"Myself. Why do I get to be here when there are other kids out there who've never had parents and for some reason I get to have 2 different sets of parents. What if my parents are mad at me for thinking of you guys that way."
"We don't have to be your parents if you don't want us too. We aren't going to take place of your mom and dad."
"But that's the thing. I want you guys to.." I burst into more tears.
"It's okay to move on from your losses. It doesn't mean you forget them but you need to be happy too. I never knew your parents but they raised a beautiful, smart, funny, athletic little girl and I'm so happy that we got to meet you and provide for you because we love you very much and we want nothing but the best for you." Patrick said as he put me on his lap and rubbed my back until I had calmed down.
"You are luckier then some kids Mariah but to most kids you are unlucky. It's okay to be happy when other kids aren't. It isn't your fault it's the worlds fault." Ellen said as she sat next to Patrick and squeezed my shoulder.
"I love you guys too" I said after a long time of silents.
"What movie do you want to watch?" Patrick said smiling...

Hey guys hope you liked this chapter and I'm sorry for such a late update hope you guys have a great thanksgiving and I'll update again soon! Love you all and don't forget to comment and vote on this chapter!!!💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗