Chapter 16. "Ww...whhaat?"

Lauren and Camila made their way along the deserted hallway and back to Miss Lovato's English class together, their hands entwined and swinging loosely between the two of them. Camila paused for a moment outside the classroom door in indecision, the recollection of her unapproved and melodramatic exit suddenly returning to her.

"You know," Camila said quietly, turning to face Lauren. Camila released Lauren's hand and reached her own up to rub at her brow. "Perhaps we should just wait out the rest of the English and go straight to our next class." Lauren gave Camila a look which told her she wholeheartedly disagreed with that suggestion.

"I don't think so," Lauren replied simply. "Besides, Miss Lovato wanted me to bring you back so that she could talk to you."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Camila said turning to glance through the window in the classroom door and biting her bottom lip worriedly.

"She's not mad," Lauren reassured Camila, placing a comforting hand on her upper arm. "I think she was just worried about you, that's all." Camila smiled gratefully at her words but Lauren could tell that she wasn't buying it. "Ok well, what's the worst that she could do?" Lauren asked her. "You already have an extra study period with her every day after school. It's not like she could give you any more detention....except maybe a Saturday one...." Lauren trailed off in realization. Camila groaned as she turned to open the classroom door and tentatively stepped back inside. As soon as she'd done so, every pair of eyes in the room turned in her direction, watching her with interest before glancing back to Miss Lovato at the front of the class, awaiting her response to Camila's arrival.

"Girls take your seats please," Miss Lovato told them, her voice neutral and Camila felt herself wince internally at the thought of how she'd probably disappointed her favorite teacher with her earlier actions. They quickly made their way towards their seats, Lauren closing the door behind her quietly. They sat down, remaining silent for the rest of the class whilst other selected students read out their assignments.

Camila, feeling downcast, leaned her crossed arms over her desk and rested her chin on top of her forearms as she watched the speakers at the front of the class attentively. She felt an unexpected twinge of jealously as she watched each new narrator stand up and almost effortlessly deliver their presentations. Soon, Camila's jealously had morphed into that familiar sense of self-loathing and frustration which she had so often felt since her accident, her annoyance that it was not that easy for her manifesting in its usual manner as she started to pick and bite at the cuticles of her right hand.

Lauren, who had been watching Camila closely since they'd returned to their seats, reached over the gap between their desks and took her girlfriend's hand firmly in her own, causing Camila to turn and look at Lauren in surprise. Lauren shook her head deliberately as she held on to Camila's hand, refusing to relinquish it back to her to suffer further abuse and silently reproaching Camila for her misplaced feelings of self-contempt.

Camila returned her attention back to the front of the class and found Miss Lovato studying her from where she now sat behind her desk. Her eyes gave away no insight into her thoughts or personal contemplations and Camila felt herself lower her eyes back to the desk in front of her,
embarrassed by her earlier behavior.

Finally, the bell rang signaling the end of class, and as the other students stood up to gather their things and leave, Camila heard Miss Lovato call out from her position at her desk,

"Camila, can you please wait for a minute?" Camila remained seated, her attention turning to Lauren who was slowly standing from her own desk uncertainly.

"Lauren," Miss Lovato said as she stood from her desk now that the classroom was almost completely empty. "I'd like to speak to Camila alone if that's ok?" Lauren looked back at Camila who nodded her head, signaling for her to leave.