Chapter 18. "Skyscraper."

"Hey Lauren," Camila began tentatively after a while. They had been wrapped up together on Camila's bed, their arms, and legs entangled for around an hour, their tears soon subsiding as the pair of them lay in silence, enjoying the comfort of each other's presence. Lauren caressed the small of Camila's back with her fingertips as the smaller girl remained buried into her chest. 

"Yeah Camz," Lauren replied, lifting one hand up to brush a stray strand of hair out of Camila's eyes where it had fallen.

"What happened today?" Camila asked her uncertainly.

"What do you mean?" Lauren asked her, sitting up in the bed slightly.

"At school," Camila clarified as she propped herself up on one elbow. Lauren frowned, pushing herself up into a sitting position to rest her back against the head board of the bed.

"I don't understand," Lauren told her truthfully as Camila shifted position to look at her better. "What do you mean? When at school?"

"After Principal Michaels came to the cafeteria to tell me about the driver," Camila explained.

"You don't remember?" Lauren asked her evidently surprised.

"Not really," Camila admitted. "The last thing I can picture clearly is him telling me that the police thought they'd found the driver and...I remember holding your hand. That's it. Everything after that is kind of a blur."

"Well," Lauren said shifting her position against the back of the bed and reaching down to take Camila's hand in her own. She began to play with Camila's fingers mindlessly as if out of some longstanding habit. "Nothing much really," Lauren told her. "I came with you to Principal Michael's office," Lauren went on. "So did Miss Lovato," Lauren informed her. "Then we waited for your mom to pick you up."

"I didn't say anything?" Camila asked her.

"No," Lauren confirmed. "You just kind of spaced out. I was really worried about you actually..." 

"You were?" Camila asked, pushing herself up to sit next to Lauren against the head of the bed. 

"Yeah," Lauren told her. "I thought you might be about to have another seizure or something. You were so vacant." Camila looked thoughtful for a moment and made a mental note to talk to her neurologist regarding what had happened the next time she saw him. "Do you think you did?" Lauren asked reading Camila's thoughts.

"I don't know," Camila
answered truthfully. "I just...it's weird that I can't remember it isn't it?"

"A little," Lauren agreed. "Miss Lovato was really worried about you." Lauren continued. "I think she felt bad that you'd hurt your hand."

"What?" Camila almost laughed. "She was worried about me after I'd hit her in the face?"

"Accidentally," Lauren protested. "It isn't like you did it on purpose Camz."

"I know but still," Camila said wretchedly. "She shouldn't have been worried about me. She probably hates me now."

"She doesn't hate you," Lauren scoffed. "I think you're actually her favorite student. She was really worried that Principal Michaels was going to punish you for hitting a teacher. It's the main reason that she came to his office with us."

"I should do something to apologize," Camila said thinking. "Maybe get her a card or something?" Camila suggested.

"We could make her one?" Lauren offered. "I'm sure she'd like that. She's always encouraging you to practice your writing."