03.

it was warm outside, aria noticed. a little too warm, in fact. aria was getting far too used to the bitter wind turning her cheeks the same shade of pink as her hair, but it was now getting warm enough that the breeze caused her to relax rather than tense up.

aria sat outside, where most of the people like her sat during lunch. she watched as two guys attempted to kick-flip up the stair railings rather than down. one of them broke their arm. she looked back down at the homework she'd neglected to finish over the weekend, and bit the end of her pencil. duckie had not gone to school today, for God knows what reason, and aria was incredibly alone. she noticed how even everyone around here had someone to be with. how lame did she look? even the emo kids, who barely even talked, were sitting together, probably discussing their favorite eyeliners.

aria looked back down at her homework, then back up, and when she decided to actually start on it, a boy came and sat next to her. she looked at him, expecting duckie, but she was met with the kind smile of luke hemmings. "what are you doing here?"

she had meant it nicer than it came out.

"uh, i was just going to come sit here, if that's alright. i noticed that you were alone." luke knit his fingers together as he stared over aria's shoulder to her notebook, which was filled with more drawings than notes. aria closed it.

"but wouldn't you much rather be with your friends? or are they all sick, or have an std or something?" luke shook his head, stifling a laugh.

"well, actually, i was wondering something." aria had never heard that line directed toward her, and she was actually kind of intrigued.

"okay, let me hear it." she turned fully towards luke now, and noticed how he was wearing sunglasses. of course he was. he and his friends were the only people who would actually bring sunglasses around like this.

"well, ashton's having a party tonight, and i was wondering if you'd maybe want to like, go with me, or something?"

aria shrugged. ashton's party didn't sound too appealing to her, mostly because, seeing as it was his party, ashton would be there. she had enough of his slander and mysogny at school, but while she was on a date? she wasn't too sure about that.

"maybe we could stop there for a little bit, and i could take you to this really cool music club by my work." she shrugged, biting the tip of her pencil, and luke nodded curtly.

"yeah, we could do that. i'll pick you up from the record shop?"

"i'll see you then." when luke left, aria wasn't exactly sure what had happened, but she was sure that she liked it.

calum, however, was not happy.

when aria told calum about the coming night's events, he had a cow.

"are you kidding me? you're spending the night with one of them?" he leaned against aria's closed locker, a look of agony upon his face.

"move, duckie." aria shoved her best friend out of the way, shaking her head.

"i just, i can't believe that this is happening!" he ran his fingers through his hair. "god, aria, you're so stupid. you're gonna turn into one of them!" he complained, but aria was barely listening.

"shut up, we both know that you're just paranoid because i'm hanging out with someone other than you." aria grabbed her purse out of her locker, and slammed it shut loudly, making calum jump. "are you ready to go?" she asked, turning to walk towards the door. calum shrugged.

"yeah, i guess."

a/n:
this was bad and unedited but you deserved an update okay that's it bye

-kt