oneshot ~ the queen's gambit

After Russia, Beth and Benny never spoke again

After Russia, Beth and Benny never spoke again. Beth never had the strength to talk to him and Benny was still mad, not as mad as before, but still. Both of them stayed silent about what happened, neither of them told their friends. It was a silent fight no one wanted to end. 
But what if Jolene drags Beth to the US Open? What if she doesn't even know what happened between Beth and Benny? What will happen when they meet again? What will Jolene think? 
All these questions are about to be answered.

1969: Lexington, Kentucky - four days before the US Open

“I want to take you on an adventure”, that's what Jolene says, out of the blue on a Wednesday evening. “What?” “Well drive away, on an adventure, a surprise. For you.” Jolene says with excitement. “We'll leave tomorrow morning at 6.” “You won't tell me where we're going until we´re there right?”, Beth says, a little nervous, but also excited. Where did Jolene want to go? “That's fucking right! Pack your things loser, we're going on an adventure!” 
That's what Jolene basically shouted through the house. They were living together now, after Jolene gave Beth the money, she couldn't pay for her flat anymore. So Beth let Jolene move in. It was amazing, two women just enjoying their lives together. Now that Jolene lived with Beth, she didn't take the green pills anymore. Didn't need them, as well as the alcohol. Never drank a beer since Russia. Jolene was very proud of that, Beth was too. It's not that she missed the alcohol, but she knew if she took a sip now, she wouldn't be able to stop. 

1969: Lexington, Kentucky - three days before the US Open

“Jolene! Hurry up! You wanted to leave at 6, it's nearly 6:30!”, Beth shouts up the stairs to get Jolene's attention. “Yes, yes I'm coming. Woman, chill!” “It's not me who wanted to leave at 6.”, Beth says, holding her hands up. 
They both pack their stuff in the car and drive off into wherever. Beth sleeps nearly the whole car ride, she really was tired. Not being used to wake up early and then six a.m., a nightmare. Suddenly Beth felt the car stop and looked up. They were in front of a café, not a café, a diner. Where did they go? “Where are we?”, she asks Jolene in a sleepy voice. “Were in Vegas, Baby!” What? What were they doing in Vegas? Oh no. “No Jolene, not happening.” “But why, you're so good!”, Jolene says with puppy eyes. “I want to take a break, only for a year. No competitions for a year.” “Can you please play? It's just the US Open. You can easily win that, you beat that guy from Russia.”, Jolene exclaims. “I know that I can win that, It's just that there are some people here I'm not on good terms with.”, Beth says looking down kind of guilty that she never apologised. “And what? Fuck it, fuck them! We're in Vegas! And you will play in that tournament, you're already on the list.” “Well thanks you Jolene, for asking me, now I can't even get out of it.” “That was the whole plan!” “I… I, well okay. You got me. I'll play.”, Beth says, defeated. 
She couldn't get out of there without telling her about Benny and that's something she wanted to avoid at all cost. “Great! Now let's go eat something!”

“Okay ladies, what do you want?” “I'll take fries, a burger and a coke.”, Beth says, smiling at the guy. “And I'll take fries, a hot dog and a chocolate milkshake.”, with that the waiter turns away to the counter. They sat in a comfortable silence until something caught Jolene's eye. “Oh my god, Beth. DON´T turn around. There is a handsome man directly staring at our booth.” “Jolene, I'm not interested in a relationship. I wanna focus on myself.”, Beth said. What a poor excuse.
“Yes, Yes, I know but that man is something different. You should look at him. He looks a bit weird though. Dressed completely black. Like a cowboy, with his hat and then this black coat. And, don't fall from your seat, a mustache.” Beth just sits there, completely in shock. A mustache, a black coat and a cowboy hat. No, it couldn't be. “Beth? Is everything okay? You look pale. Is the description so bad? It sounds like he looks weird, yes, but he makes everything look hella good.”, Jolene tried to convince her. Should Beth tell her about Benny? About what happened between them? That she fucked up? Chose being numb over being with him? It would be embarrassing but on the other hand, Jolene is her best friend and her roommate. She wouldn't judge her.