Chapter 3

I woke up to the sound of starting engines outside the academy. I quickly looked at the time knowing that it was too early even for me.

I was shocked to see that it was 2 am, the light of my phone nearly blinding me.

I stretched forwards to pull the curtains away from the door by my bed. My room looked to the outside of the facility right where the fountains spat water into the sky. Droplets of water had condensed on my water and shone in the light of my night lamp.

A single aeroplane drove right past my window almost shattering it. Of course, the glasses were enforced with an extra thickness just for occasions like these. I watched with sleepy eyes and the jet turned around and flew above the fountains. My shuddering windows provided little vision as I tried my best to read the name engraved on the side of the jet.

But... There was no name to be seen. At least not with the Miraculous logo on it.

The yin and the yang.

Almost every jet here had the Miraculous logo unless...

"It's a private jet!" 

I jumped down from my bed and rushed into the washroom. Putting my hair up in a messy bun, I tried to get ready as soon as possible. I could hear my phone ringing beside my bed but I had no time to answer it. I was already too late.

Master Fu should have informed me of the change of plan!

I had stayed till late last night, going through all the papers that I had been given. Sure there wasn't much in them, but I always take my time before heading out on a mission. 

Not going to lie, but I had stayed up most of the night thinking about the consequences of using my real name could have. I had worked so hard on keeping my name a secret on all the other missions I had embarked on and I knew that no one could possibly know me as 'Marinette Dupain-Cheng'. Master Fu had assured me of that much but I still wasn't willing to take any risks.

I knew that many things could go terribly wrong but I tried my best to think positive. So I thought of all the new people I'd meet, all the friends I'd make and... All the lies I'd have to keep from them...

Keep it together, Marinette.

I was distracted by my phone ringing for the third time. But I had no time to answer it. It was probably Master Fu or Tikki since Plagg never bothers to get ready for a mission on time. I was on the verge of having a panic attack when I remembered that I hadn't collected my weapons from the closet.

Putting on the shirt that was crumpled in my hands, I ran to the closet ready to yank the handle off the door if Serene didn't give me access. She must have sensed my waves of panic rolling off of me because she opened the doors without even asking for verification.

"Thank you, Serene!" I shouted running into the closet to grab the duffel bag with my spy suit and weapons.

I passed the tall mirror as I walked out and did a quick overview of what I was wearing. A loose T-shirt with a beautiful flower print was tucked into a pair of denim shorts that ended at my thighs. A black choker clung to the skin of my neck while the silver bow extending from the choker rested in between my collar bones. My hair was still in the messy bun and I readjusted it so that most of the stray strands of hair touched the nape of my neck. I turned around facing my back to the mirror, my black ankle boots making clicking noises on the tiled floor.  

Satisfied with the look, I walked back into my room while Serene shut the doors of the closet behind me. Two suitcases were lined up next to each other by the door and I placed the duffel bag right next to them.