Lonely

||Yuzuki||

Most nights I found myself wandering around town with my guitar in hand searching for something to write about. Something about walking the streets of the city made the world not feel so claustrophobic and provided a different perspective. It was the feeling there might actually be some room for me in this overcrowded world, and this guitar was an extension of who I was, a person I otherwise don't quite recognize.

I sighed in defeat, the white cloud escaping my lips, as I twiddled with the zippo that rested in my pocket. It began to cause a stir in me. Everytime I thought about it, even if I thought I was well over it, the tinge of loneliness crept over me, something I'd felt for as long as I've had my first fully formed memories. And whether or not it actually hurt me more, I tended to lean on anything that would ease the pain because more than usual lately, I've had to push those thoughts back down. I started smoking again two months back, it made it so I didnt have to put up with the thoughts when they decided to resurface. I pulled the last smoke from the small pocket of my flannel and leaned against the wall covered top to bottom in graffiti. I could feel my anxious thoughts drift away with every exhale.

"Damn it!" The sounds of clashing of tin and frustrated exasperations interrupted my peace. In curiosity, I peaked around the corner of the building. A tiny built girl kicked another trash bin in frustration. "How am I supposed to get another replacement Tokoyami? You couldn't warn us? We find out in text? You've played for us since we started in Kirishima's garage. That was the least you could do! Hello? God damn it!"

She walked towards me, fists unclenching and clenching repeatedly. I turned back around and continued to smoke my cigarette. The lit end, coming closer to the butt as I inhaled once more. The same girl from the back alley rounded the corner and propped herself beside me, "People are impossible." She huffed.

"First time being disappointed?" I sarcastically asked.

"Ha, I wish. But man, you really can't count on anyone," she spoke, clearly upset with her situation. But honestly, I felt it. You really can't put blind faith in people.

"You're not convincing me of anything new." I said, flicking the end of my cigarette at the floor, watching the tiny ember drop and sizzle out. Familiar...

Almost instantaneously, she changed her attitude, looking me up and down, "Do you happen to know how to play that guitar of yours?"

"Yeah...played for about 12 years," I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at her sudden shift. The girl gleamed with excitement, her pink curls bouncing along with her.

"Any chance you'd like a paid gig? One night," she asked hopeful, the slightest jump in her step.

"I'm okay, I got better things to do," I brushed off her offer, putting my cigarette out with my shoe.

"Like what, lighting up one more? Come on, it's not often you have nothing to actually lose and something to gain," the pinkette said, walking towards the front entrance. And for some reason, I found myself tempted. Her words of nothing to lose and something to gain, made me curious, "follow me?"

~~~

The lights dimmed as the opening band's song came to an end. A set of arms wrapped around my small frame, her bouncy punk curls tickling me as her chin rested on my shoulder. "So whatcha think? Pretty rad scene, huh?"

"Definitely, not bad," I agreed, watching her playfully roll her eyes and drag me by the hand through the crowd towards the front of the stage.

"Wrong answer, you definitely need your ears checked if you think they're not bad," she winked. "Though, they're not the main event, so I'll let your criticism slide just this once."