-4-

On the day of the engagement party, I found myself wearing a white long sleeved blouse and a long blue skirt with a blue pendent. My mother also wore something similar, since it was her friend's daughter's engagement party and it didn't seem appropriate to wear a saree. It was a garden party held inside their estate and my mother advised me to carry a parasol as it was rather hot that day.

It was odd actually; it was my first time attending an engagement party. I've read about them, but never thought I might actually have a chance to attend one. Even my mother was clueless and kept on asking my father about what a lady was expected to do in an engagement party. My father gave my mother one of his indifferent looks before saying, 'I don't have the foggiest clue either.'

My father and my elder brothers drove to the Riverten estate separately from the Military headquarters while Christopher, my mother and me were driven to the state by our family driver. By the time we arrived, father was already there. Only for the three of them to awkwardly stand in the corner while the rest of the guests gave them rather cautions glances. My family consisted of espers. Espers might be of value to the military but it didn't stop people from being wary of them. It was the reason why no one usually say they are espers out loud. Everyone knew father's esper but not of the rest of us.

Contrary to how the rest of us were feeling, Christopher was the only one who was excited to the event and kept on fidgeting around me.

'Why are you so excited?' I asked.

Christopher gave me a look that told I was an idiot before saying, 'We are in high society now, you imbecile.'

It took only one look from me to shut him up. 'Maybe. But I wonder who the groom will be, to hold an engagement party here.'

That peaked Christopher's interest. It turns out the groom-to-be was a young British Lieutenant from a noble family. They have decided to hold the engagement party in Ceylon and to hold the wedding in England due to some bizarre reason I could not comprehend. It seemed the young bride-to-be was to leave to England next week.

It made me realize what type of a dilemma I have actually managed to escape. From the look from my mother's face as she gazed at me, she was thinking the same thing. I was not ready to spend my life in England, a place I barely knew of with a society with so many hierarchy's and complexities. It made me feel more motivated to somehow pass the entrance exam.

The party was a simple event where all the guests held out a toast to the new bride and groom to be followed by music and mingling around while I tried to eat something while trying to best to act ladylike as possible. I was joined by Henry, who must have got fed up from the way people stare at him. My mother was occupied with Mrs. Riversten and a few ladies who lived in the neighborhood. Most of the faces I didn't recognize though.

Henry stuffed a scone to his face as he gave those around him a death stare. People turned away in a flurry.

'The more they concentrate on me, the more I hear. It's irritating.'

I nodded in understanding.

'You are lucky in a way. At least you get to lead a normal life.'

I raised one of my eye brows.

'Okay. Yet it's not that bad as most people right? You should hear people complain in their head. Pray that Christopher does not decide to levitate anything. Maybe he should, this party is boring.'

If there is something Christopher was good that, it was causing a commotion and getting attention from everyone around him. It didn't take long before Charles made his way towards us asking, 'Where is Christopher?'