chapter 5

5-26-1945

Dear journal, it happened again. We were playing lava monster in pe, and I accidentally touched metal after tagging someone on the slide again. I felt the same weird shock, but a little bit differently this time. This time it felt like pure energy was coming to me.That is the only way I can think of to explain it. I could see it, too. It was like a little blue ball of pure energy. I tried to point it out to some of my friends, but they couldn't see it. I don't know how they missed it, it was so bright. Maybe, just maybe, magic does exist.

SAFE PLACES TO GO

Library

School

Park?

Tree???

5-27-1945

Dear journal, Pop said that now that I'm the woman of the house, I'm going to have to be taking my share of the work, like cooking and cleaning. I don't know how I feel about this new arrangement. I have already prepared dinner, cleaned most of the house, and washed our clothes. It was so weird, doing all the chores that I would only help Mum do. I don't think I like being the woman of the house. I am worried because if I don't finish all my chores before he gets back, Pop gets mad at me. That is the door, got to go.

5-28-1945

Dear journal, Mum told me I had to unpack today, no excuses. So there goes my idea to tell her I'm a superhuman freak. She would just think that I am trying to get out of unpacking. So I unpacked all day, except for a few bathroom breaks, where I would sneak you, journal. I am hiding out in the bathroom right now, as I write this. Mum might think I am having problems. Got to go back to unpacking now. Write you in a bit!