Chapter 41

Two weeks later

"...I would like to thank y'all for comin' out today. This here party celebrates the wins of Northwood High School. Our last game is this Friday, so make sure you show up and support the team."

Everyone in the fair barn cheers and claps their hands.

Matt nudges me from behind and I slap him on the arm.

"He's lookin' your way," he snickers.

"Oh, shut up!"

Matt and I had a bet going on whether or not Jason Ross was going to ask me out. He's been talking to me more than usual lately, and with the last football game coming up, everyone needs a date for the after party. Matt and Mandy are going together, Cali and Sam are, and of course Nicki and Caleb are. So many girls have asked Clark, but he's refused every one of them. He's 'waiting for the right person' (notice the quotes).

"Would you just hush?" I complain. Matt continued to snicker. "Fine then. I'm goin' to get some punch."

I stalk off the the refreshment table and grab a cup for some punch.

"Cara?"

Well crap.

I then and smile at Jason. "Hi, Jason." I frantically look around for one of my friends or someone to come save me.

"I've been meaning to talk to you."

"Well have you," I continue to look around.

He nods. "I was goin' to ask if you wanted to go to the dance with me this Friday."

This is gonna be bad.

"Listen, Jason. Umm, you're a really nice guy and all, but-"

"She's goin' with me."

I turn to the voice and give Clark a grateful smile.

"Oh," Jason says. "Well, it was worth a shot."

I smile and him and Clark comes up and puts an arm around my shoulder.

"So who are you really goin' with," I ask.

"You," he replies nonchalantly.

I gap at him. "You sly little dog."

"We can't disappoint the population," he chuckles.

I roll my eyes and stroll back over to Matt. I nod to Mandy who came to join him.

"Did he ask?"

"Yes," I nod.

Matt turns from the stage to me. "So who're you goin' with?"

"Clark," I says as I turn my attention back to the speaker.

"Dang," Matt mumbles.

I look at him oddly while Mandy holds out her hand with a smirk. Matt slaps a $20 bill in her hand.

"You bet on me?" I gasp.

"Sorry Cara," Mandy chuckles. "I knew he'd ask you."

I smile and sip my punch.

It won't be that bad.
¥
Clark's POV

"And you got her to go?" Momma asks incredulously.

I nod and chuckle. "I didn't think she would."

"She's good for you Clark," she says, "I haven't seen you smile this much since..."

She trails off sadly and I place my hand over hers. "I know," I whisper.

She gives me a sad smile and wipes a stray tear. "Doesn't she have a younger sister?"

I nod and smile. "Yeah, she's so sweet and cute. I've convinced her we've got a goose." Momma laughs and look at me as I continue. "She laughs all the time, she loves giggling. And she's just like Cara."

Momma leans back in the kitchen chair and her smile widens. "You like her, don't you."

I smile at the mere mention of her. "I dunno, Momma. I really don't know."

"Oh but I do," she leans forward, "I know my some better than anyone. And I know when he likes someone."

I chuckle and move to go to my room. "I'll see you Momma."

She gives me a smile and I retreat to my room.

Maybe I do like Cara.