Chapter 47 (Thanksgiving Special)

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear turrrkeyyyyy, happy birthday to you!" Marie Jo sings to the television.

Dad laughs at her and she jumps into his lap.

"Cara! I need you to clean up the bathroom. Go get your brother form upstairs and have him vacuum," Mom yells from the kitchen.

I set my phone on the coffee table and walk to the laundry room to get the dusters and some Clorox wipes.

"Matt!" I yell up the stairs. "Come vacuum. Nana and Paw will be here in a couple minutes. Everyone else is sure to follow soon after."

I hear Matt huff and he comes stomping down the stairs. He plants a loss on my cheek and smirks. "Happy Thanksgiving dear sister."

"Oh, shove off," I mumble.

Matt chuckles as he grabs the vacuum from the laundry room.

I grab the duster and Clorox swipes and walk to the bathroom.

Halfway through, I hear the front door squeak open and Marie Jo yell, "Nana! Paw!"

I throw the wipe away and shove all our hair ties and whatnot into a drawer. I dust stop the mirror and the pictures.

I smile once I see Paw hauling the ice chest in.

"Need help?" I ask as I walk up.

He smiles gratefully and gives me the ice chest. I pull it through the living room and into the kitchen.

"Hey darlin'," Paw says as he kisses Mom in the cheek.

"Hi Daddy," she responds.

Mom starts to boil some water while I set out the drinks.

Let the Thanksgiving madness begin.
                                     ¥
Four hours and a very full stomach later, Marie Jo and I snuggle on the couch

"What was your favorite thing?" I ask.

"Christmas," she says seriously.

I laugh. "No, on your plate, silly!"

Marie no giggles in my arms. "The ham."

I laugh again. "You always like ham."

Marie Jo giggles again and gets still. "When are we going to see Clark?"

I sigh. "Probably Sunday when we go back to church. Do you want to ask Bobby if he'll go outside?"

Marie Jo nods vigorously and runs off the find her cousin.

Alyssa walks over to the back door and nods to the back patio.

I heave myself up and walk to the back porch.

"Well?" I ask as soon as I sit down.

"How's Clark?" she smirks.

"Fine...." I say hesitantly.

She nods. "That's good."

"What are you trying to get at?"

Alyssa laughs. "Nothing."

I roll my eyes but smile nonetheless. "Okay."

"Y'know, I think that Clark is good for you."

I laugh. "You have no clue how many times I've heard that."

"Boys are good, but family is better," Alyssa concludes.

I looks lovingly at Marie Jo and Bobby playing in the yard. "Yes, it is."
                                     ¥
Y'all. I am soooo full. Cherish those moment you have with your loved ones. Y'all stay safe!! Ciao for now.