The Beginning Of My Dream

My name was called. After the whole inspirational speech given by my coach I realised he actually gave me a lot of confidence. I went through the same routine starting the 200m Freestyle as I did for the 100m Breastroke. I didn't imagine anything this time. I focused on myself and the water. "It's time!" I whispered under my breath.

I dived in on time. I tried to block out the commentators at the start of the race but couldn't quite do it. I heard them say 'Alison Michaels, Lane 3, 6th place!". That's not good enough. I finished third first 100 moving up from 6th place to 4th, I was getting better but still needed that extra bit. I turned at the wall and took a deep breath and raced for my life. I picked up the pace, I believed in myself and I did it. I made it through my first heat which means I go through to the semi-finals. 'One more hurdle and I'm into the final' I thought to myself as I walked back to the stands.

Semi finals came and I placed 2nd again which was a big improvement considering I was in 7th the whole 150 meters. I really don't know how I did it, maybe I just believed in myself even more than last time.

I was in Lane 5 beside the person who has been leading since the heats, which put me again under a lot of pressure but instead of looking at her when turning to breath I looked to the opposite side against another good opponent who was still strong swimmer but by looking at them I didn't think I'd be doubting myself as much, at least that's what I told my coach. "You shouldn't be doubting yourself at all, remember what I told you." coach explained.

First 50, I was out like a rocket in first place but during the next 50, the girl in Lane 4 caught up with me. We were neck and neck until the last 50. Her turn was better than mine, I could tell. I had to look at her when breathing now. She passed me, I passed her, she passed me, I passed her until the last 10 meters. "HOLD ON ALISON!" screamed my coach. How I heard him I will never know but it worked. I came first and secured a spot on the Olympic Team. I waved proudly, cried and screamed. All my dreams had come true.

I got interviewed at least 7 times and the most asked question was how do I feel and how did I do it? Two questions I couldn't answer because I don't know and I was speechless. I seen my parents waiting at the door as we left the building I will always want to visit again. Hugs went from one person to another. Emotions were running high but it was a day I will never forget. We arrived home after being on another 2 hour flight. During that flight my coach told me not to forget that the plane ride to Brisbane, Australia would take more than a day but I told him I was fine with that as long as I get to experience the rest of my dream. Family and friends greeted me with signs, cards and hugs and kisses. It was all just the beginning.