The End to an Eventful Year

Early the next morning, Millie woke up an hour before breakfast to see Severus. She had tied silver ribbon around the gift she had bought him and she started to walk down to his classroom.

"Severus?" She asked, searching her eyes around the room.

He wasn't there. Very unlike Snape to not be by his desk doing work, she figured that perhaps he'd gone to breakfast slightly earlier this morning. Pulling out a piece of parchment from his desk draw, she started to write:

Happy birthday Severus,
I know we've not been seeing eye to eye on things a lately, but I hope we can put this behind us.
Before you hear it from any of the other Slytherins, I'd like to let you know that I've tried out for the quidditch team and have been given a position of chaser. Please don't be mad, I'm actually quite proud of myself x

Ps. I know you don't like presents but I got you a little something a while back. Hopefully now we can add to the photo album, some photos of us.

Best wishes, Millie

She'd bought him a Polaroid camera. She hadn't seen any pictures from her childhood, only ones of her mother, and figured it was about time she had some of her current guardian.

As she left his classroom, shutting the door behind her, Snape approached.

"Oh-uh Severus I was just look-" she stumbled on her words looking up as the distressed man. It wasn't quite how she'd expected to sort things between them.

"Millie, pack up your trunk. Hogwarts is closing- as of today students are to be sent home" He spoke sternly, but not coldly.

"What? Why?" She said puzzled.

"Why? Because the chamber of secrets is becoming a serious threat for everyone at Hogwarts. You'll go home after breakfast using the floo network, I'll be there as soon as this is all sorted." He explained not much further.

"What? Bu-"

"Millie, dormitory now. Gather your belongings" he repeated.

"Yes" she nodded in reply.

He opened the door to his classroom before she stopped him again, "Severus" he turned to look at her blue doe eyes that stared up at him.
"Happy birthday" she spoke with a smile, causing his lips to slightly upturn.

How could he not. The same smile that her mother had so evidently passed onto her. The 'Best smile' superlative.

She headed to the dungeons to pack up her trunk, barely any students were in the corridors. As she turned a corner she came across a very familiar elf.

"Dobby?" She shouted, pleasantly surprised.

Millie had met the house elf a few times while visiting Draco at the Malfoy Manor- always so timid and shy, however this time he was happily skipping down the corridors with a huge grin.

"Miss Millie, oh Dobby is so very happy to see you again" he said with the constant grin plastered to his face.

"What're you doing here? Does mr Malfoy know you're here?" She asked curiously, bending down to his height. She always found it rather disrespectful towering over him to look down at the elf.