Ch. 19: Party Preparations

Next Tuesday
After Classes

I walk out of the classroom with Daehwi after we've both finished packing our stuff, and, I have to admit, I am a bit excited about my birthday party today. I'm just hoping that nothing goes wrong after I've somehow invited Bomin to my party.

Just as Daehwi and I step out of our classroom, I'm suddenly attacked with a hug from someone hiding beside the doorframe just outside the classroom.

"Happy birthday!" Lia tells me excitedly as she hugs me and I turn to her with wide eyes.

"You scared me there for a moment," I tell her, still shocked, and she laughs as she steps back.

"Sorry. I just wanted to surprise you."

I smile, then hear Daehwi speak up from behind me.

"You must be Lia," he says and I turn to him just as he offers his hand to Lia for a handshake with a friendly smile. Lia smiles back at him and shakes his hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, uh..."

"Daehwi. I'm Y/N's childhood friend."

"Ooh~" Lia says as an amused look forms on her face and she turns to me as she and Daehwi let go of each other's hands, "So he's the one you were looking for in the masquerade?"

"What?" Daehwi asks and I turn to him.

"It's nothing," I tell him laughing nervously.

"By the way, Y/N," Lia tells me and I turn to her, "have you decided what to wear for your birthday party? Who's gonna do your makeup? You know, I can help you if you want." There's a definite spark in her eyes and I smile nervously.

"Well... I do have a dress prepared, but... I don't really know how to apply my makeup..."

"Let me help!" Lia offers, holding my hands in hers and I look at her with wide eyes, surprised by her sudden actions.

"O-okay."

"Great! I promise I'll make you so beautiful, all the boys you've invited from school will fall for you at first sight!"

For some reason, that made me look towards Daehwi and I suddenly find myself making eye contact with him as he looks at me with a look that I can't read. I quickly look away, then feel my face start heating up as I turn away from him.

"Anyways!" I shout out as I start walking towards the exit, "Let's just go already. Mom's definitely gonna need some help in preparing for the party so I need to be home as soon as I can!"

The three of us then walk to my home.

...

Just as we reach our neighborhood, Daehwi stops me by placing a hand on my shoulder and I turn to him to see him gesture to something up ahead. I turn to what he's gesturing at and see a familiar grey car parked infront of my house. My eyes widen, and my face lights up as I start running towards my house.

Daehwi's POV

"What was that about?" Lia asks as she turns to me.

I smile as I look ahead towards Y/N's house. "Her dad almost always works overseas and is rarely home. She even doubted that he'd be home for her birthday." I then gesture to the grey car I gestured to a while ago. "That car is a sign that he's home."

"Oh," Lia says as she looks towards the car, "so that's why she looked so happy."

"Yup."

Your POV