Ch. 7: Masquerade pt. 1

Your POV

It's 5:50 and my ride has finally arrived. Though Daehwi and I live near each other, he's still supposed to take another ride so our identities wouldn't be revealed to each other. In fact, his ride arrived 10 minutes ago and brought him to the school already.

When I hear the engine stop infront of my house and Mom calling me, I quickly put my mask on over my eyes, grab my purse, then go out to see Mom smiling brightly at me.

"Have fun at the masquerade!" she tells me and I smile back at her and hug her. "Good luck, by the way! Make sure you recognize my future son-in-law when you get there!"

"Yah, eomma!" I shout at her annoyingly as I pull back. She laughs then smiles brightly at me.

"Fine! Just go!" she tells me and I smile at her then walk out. "And don't forget your curfew! I'm extending it a bit for today, but make sure you come home by midnight!"

"Got it!" I shout back at her as I leave, closing the door behind me.

...

School gym, masquerade venue

I enter the gym and look around nervously. People are grouped and even seem really familiar with each other.

Alright, Y/N. This is it. Just try to act like a different person and maybe people won't try to humiliate you.

Suddenly, just as soon as I finish thinking of those words, I see a female student stick her foot out making another female student trip. My eyes widen as I watch the student that had fallen run away crying while the one who made her trip laughs with her friends. Two friends to be exact.

That must be Ji-ah. They must have broken the rules so they would be able to recognize each other.

I sigh then walk towards a table where refreshments are displayed. Several students are standing around the table, laughing and chatting. I'm the only one quietly standing still beside the long table.

Aish! What are you doing, Y/N?! People are definitely gonna recognize you if you continue acting like this!

"Having trouble recognizing your friends?" I suddenly hear a female voice say and I turn to my left to see a female student smiling friendlily at me. She has a white mask over her eyes and her dress is a red fitted one with sleeves that reached down to her elbows and a skirt that reached down to just below her knees.

"Huh? Oh... yeah," I tell her.

I don't even know who I'm talking to and I'm already lying to her.

"It is weird," she continues as she looks towards the other students, "What could the principal be thinking of when she arranged this event?"

"Beats me," I tell her, "she does seem a little crazy every now and then." I laugh and she gasps and looks at me with her hand over her mouth.

"No way. Did you just call our principal 'crazy'?"

I shrug as I look at her. "Well, don't you think she's crazy for arranging this event?"

Suddenly, the student laughs and I smile at her gesture. "I guess you do have a point, there," she tells me as soon as she's stopped laughing, "Gosh, I wish I knew who you were."

Trust me, you don't wanna know.

Instead of saying that, I just smile brightly at her. "Me too."

She looks towards the students again and I see her face light up as her eyes set on another female student across the room. "Oh! I think I see my friend over there!" She then turns to me and smiles. "We'll talk again later, 'kay?"