chapter eight

Dean still had no idea where Leta was taking him, but he was happy to go along for the ride. As they thanked the bus driver and got off Leta turned to Dean with the biggest smile. "So Deanie, I bet you're wondering what we are doing here in the beautiful town of Tenterden. Well, let me enlighten you. You are in the presence of the new and improved Leta Chadwick, I am reinventing myself. Anyway, you are here to bear witness to that change. You down for it?" Leta smile was so infectious right now that Dean couldn't bring himself to say No.

"What's wrong with the way you look now? I mean I am all for a change everyone needs a change sometimes, but I think you look fine the way you are".

Leta just laughed "You know we are already friends you don't need to woo me, besides I am just bored I want to be a better version of the person I already am". Dean nodded confusion all over his face.

"Okay so, where too first then". Leta grabbed his hand again and pulled him towards the hair salon. Leta had planned on dyeing her hair herself but figured that if she wanted it to look perfect then she would need it to be done by a professional.

They walked into the salon and stood by the reception desk. There were only a few people in there so Leta hoped they could do her hair without needing an appointment. This is where she usually went to get her haircut, the lady at the desk, Annie, stood up and smiled fondly.

"Hello, Leta dear this is a nice surprise", "Hi Annie, I know I don't have an appointment or anything, but do you think you would be able to fit me in today. I am on the path of reinventing myself and I wanted to start with my hair?". Annie smiled, "Okay so what were you thinking of getting done?"

"Well, I was thinking- wait Dean do you mind waiting outside for a sec I want it to be a surprise", Dean nodded before stepping outside the shop. Satisfied that he couldn't hear her Leta continued. "Okay, so I was thinking of having a major haircut and adding some layered bangs at the front. Also, I was thinking of dyeing my hair red or a copper colour. I have a photo if that might help?" Annie nodded and took the phone from Leta.

Annie looked up at Leta grinning, "I think you are gonna look great, take a seat. You're lucky it is quiet today". Leta squealed in excitement. "Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!" Annie laughed, "Do you want me to bring your boyfriend in?"

Leta laughed "oh. He's not my boyfriend, he is just a friend from school", Annie smirked knowingly before bringing Dean in. He sat next to Leta smiling, while Annie rushed around in the background getting all the dye and equipment. "Dean do you mind taking a photo of me, you know like a before and after shot".

"Of course, pass me your camera". He reached over and grabbed it bringing it to his eye and squinting. Leta smiled brightly and then did a model pose as a joke. Dean was laughing when Annie called him over to her.

"Hi, it's Dean, right?" Annie extended her hand.

"Yeah," he said shaking her hand. "Do you mind helping me bring this over to the workstation?" Dean nodded. "Yeah of course", Annie started to pile the bottles and tools onto the tray in Dean's hands. "So how long have you and Leta been dating".

Dean's eyes widened before he started to stutter that they weren't dating. Annie started laughing, "Look Dean I know a crush when I see one, Leta may not know it, hell you might not even know it, but you too like each other. I have a sixth sense with this kind of thing". Dean just shook his head, "Leta and I have been fighting like cat and dog for as long as either of us can remember. We've only really just started being friends, we do not fancy one another". Annie just smirked, "Whatever you say".

Leta had been watching him have an internal battle and then shake his head like he had water in his ears. He was so strange sometimes.

They were in the salon for 2 and 1/2 hours, Dean had left to grab some lunch for the two of them while Annie was finishing up Leta's haircut. The mirror had been covered up to fit in with the whole makeover idea, so when Annie had finished and pulled away the sheet covering it, Leta squealed. She stared back at her reflection much like she had done this morning and she couldn't believe that she now had short ginger hair.