We Meet Again

"This is a bad idea, Marinette." Tikki frowned from her perch on the bedroom windowsill. "You promised Luka you wouldn't use the miraculous again."

Marinette fingered the mouse pendant resting in her palm. After being akumatized, Marinette and Luka had realized she would have to be careful about having a miraculous in her position. Now that Hawkmoth was targeting her, he was one step closer to finding out Luka's identity and the location of the ladybug miraculous.

She shuddered. The only reason he didn't know was because she'd focused on her hate for Cat Blanc and her fury at Kagami's betrayal. It had blocked out every other thought, preventing Hawkmoth from learning Viperion's identity.

"It was horrible," she'd told Luka after he'd rescued her. "I can't remember ever feeling that much hate."

"You did what you had to do." He placed his hand on her shoulder. "You kept Hawkmoth from learning you're Ladybug, or that I'm Viperion."

"You don't understand." She looked up at him with wide eyes. "It wasn't the akumatization that made me so angry. It wasn't Hawkmoth's powers. I was already angry. Already full of hate. It's the reason I was akumatized." Marinette trembled.

"You've been through so much. No one blames you for this." Luka hugged her.

"I do," she said. Marinette leaned in to kiss him, but Luka pulled away.

"You said something when you were akumatized."

"It doesn't matter," she waved away his words. "Akumatizations make people say all kinds of crazy things."

When Luka didn't say anything, Marinette continued, "Cat Blanc helped you?" she asked hesitantly.

Luka's shoulders stiffened. "He seems to have an affection for you."

"Odd."

"But extremely lucky in this case." Luka turned toward the railing. "I should go. Sasss, scales slither." He transformed and leapt from the balcony before Marinette could say another word.

She'd thought it was strange at the time. Although, that whole day had been strange, to say the least.

"Marinette," Tikki interrupted her musings. "You can't use the mouse miraculous. What if Hawkmoth finds out?"

Marinette looked at Tikki. "There hasn't been an attack for three days."

"Yes, but the last attack was yours!" Tikki reminded her. "You're already a target."

"I need to see him."

"Why?"

"He helped me. I at least owe him a thank you." Marinette slipped the pendant over her head.

"I thought you hated Cat Blanc."

"I do. It's just. It's complicated, Tikki. I wouldn't expect you to understand."

Tikki shrank back at Marinette's harsh tone.

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "But this is something I have to do. Mullo, get squeaky!"

Multimouse looked at herself in the mirror, almost relieved to be in costume again, even if it wasn't her regular one.

"You need to stay here. Imagine what would happen if Hawkmoth got his hands on you." Multimouse started up the ladder to her balcony.

"How are you even going to find him?"

"I'm going to call him." Multimouse continued up, closing the door behind her.

She leapt from the rooftop, using her enhanced abilities to jump from building to building, until she found one far away from her parents bakery.

Not that it mattered. Cat Blanc and Ryuko knew her identity and could come whenever they wanted.