Prologue

Lawrence, Kansas 1983

Crickets chirp. A large deciduous tree with no leaves stands outside one of several suburban homes.

A woman, Mary, wearing a white nightgown, carries a small child, her son Dean, into a dark room.

"Come on, let's say good night to your brother." Mary said as she turns on the lights of the nursery of a baby, Sam, who is lying in his crib and looking over at her and Dean. She sets him down. He leans over the side of the crib and kisses Sam on the forehead.

"'Night, Sam."

Mary leans over Sam as well. "Good night, love." She brushes Sam's hair back and kisses his forehead.

"Hey, Dean." Dean turns. The man in the doorway wearing a USMC T-shirt is John. Dean rushes over to him

"Daddy!"

"Hey, buddy." John  scoops Dean up. "So what do you think? You think Sammy's ready to toss around a football yet?"

Dean shakes his head, laughing."No, Daddy."

John laughs. "No."

Mary passes John and Dean on the way out of the room.

"You got him?"

"I got him." John hugs Dean closer. "Sweet dreams, Sam." John carries Dean out of the room, flipping off the lights. Sam watches them go, gurgling, then tries to reach his toes.

The baseball-themed mobile above Sam's crib begins to spin on its own while Sam watches. The transportation-themed clock on the wall ticks, ticks, stops. The moon-shaped nightlight flickers.

Lights flicker on a baby monitor sitting on a nightstand next to a photo of Mary and John. Strange noises come through the monitor. Mary, asleep in bed, stirs. She turns on the light on the nightstand.

"John?" Mary turns, she's alone. She gets up and walks down the hall to Sam's nursery. John, seen only in silhouette, stands over Sam's crib. "John? Is he hungry?"

"John" turns his head. "Shhh." 

"All right."

Mary heads back down the hallway. The light by the stairs is flickering. She frowns and goes to tap at it till the light steadies.

"Hm."

More flickering light is coming from downstairs: Mary investigates. A war movie is on TV and John has fallen asleep watching it. If he's is here, she realizes, then the man upstairs cannot be him and must be a danger. She runs back upstairs.

"Sammy! Sammy!"

Mary enters Sam's nursery and stops short., Mary screams. Which wakes John wakes up.

"Mary?" He scrambles out of the chair. "Mary!" He runs upstairs and bursts through the closed door of the nursery. "Mary." The room is quiet and appears empty except for Sam awake in his crib and John. John glances around and pushes down the side of Sam's crib. "Hey, Sammy. You okay?" Something dark drips next to Sam. John touches it. Two more drops land on the back of his's hand. It looks like blood. John looks up. Mary is sprawled across the ceiling, the stomach of her nightgown red with blood, staring at him and struggling to breathe. John collapses onto the floor, staring at Mary. "No! Mary!" John yells as she bursts into flames. The fire spreads over the ceiling. He stares, frozen. Sam wails. John, reminded he's not alone, gets up and scoops Sam out of his crib and rushes out of the room.

Dean is awake and coming to investigate.

"Daddy!"

John shoves Sam at Dean and says. "Take your brother outside as fast as you can and don't look back! Now, Dean, go!"

Dean turns and runs. John turns back to the nursery.

"Mary!"

The entire room is on fire. Mary herself can barely be seen.

"No!"

Dean runs outside, holding Sam.

"It's okay, Sammy." Dean says as he turns to look up at Sam's window, which is lit with gold.

John runs outside, scoops up the boys, and carries them both away.

"I gotcha."

Fire explodes out of Sam's nursery window.

A few hours later, the Lawrence fire department has arrived. A FIREFIGHTER gets out of a fire truck and takes over at the gauges for another firefighter.

"I got it. You go hold the line up."

The second firefighter goes to the back of the truck and takes a hose from a third firefighter. That firefighter takes the hose towards the house where a fourth firefighter is spraying through Sam's nursery window. A paramedic opens the back of an ambulance. A Policeman waves some neighbors back.

"Stay back. You have to stay back."

Across the street from the house, John and Dean sit on the hood of a 1967 Impala, John holding Sam as he looks up at the remnants of the fire.