Doubts and conflicts

"The reason why I accept you here is for the sake of our friendship. I know you are helpless and is just following what your parents said so take this as an opportunity to grow." William gave her his usual polite smile.

Isabella flashbacked her conversation with William. Why didn't I tell him that I actually like him and that I'm willingly following what my parents said?  Tears streamed down from her eyes.

She saw how William looked at Vanessa affectionately that night. She also noticed the secret glances they took of each other during report delivering and in the dining hall and how William smiled the brightest when he is talking to her. It was not the usual polite smile he gave to everyone.

Isabella's heart ached. What did she have that I don't?

She remembered the first time she met William.

Since their families were close, she would often visit his house. As she was wandering in the field, she saw a boy growing up a tree and was amazed by it. "Waaaaaaa World tree magic?" she ran towards him but slipped down. The boy saw her and quickly hid behind the tree. "Why are you hiding? Shouldn't you be helping me up?" the girl limped towards him.

As she reached the tree, she saw his face. The face that her parents described to her; a face that was half-covered with scars. "You must be William. I'm Isabella," the girl reached out her hand towards him. William reluctantly shook her hand and noticed her sprained ankle.

Swiftly, he bandaged and wrapped the ankle with a ragged cloth. Isabella was taken aback by his kindness and started to visit him often until they turned teenagers.

However, her parents did not like her being close to him and wanted her to meet other richer nobleman's son. But, her heart and eyes were already with someone else.

One day, she wanted to confess her feelings to William but he already left with Julius to be a magic knight. Since then, she never heard any news about him until he became the Golden Dawn captain.

Her parents started to regret their choice of forbidding her to meet him when they were younger as William got more popularity and achieved numerous accomplishments.

One night, her mother came in to tell her the news that she will be getting engaged to William. She was happy but doubtful. After so many years apart, would he still remember her? Would he like her as she does?

She got her answer after seeing William and Vanessa together that night.