Chapter One

"Are you excited, Emily?" asked Brendan.
"Of course, I've been waiting all my life to turn 18 and find out who my soulmate is" I responded.
"You're such a typical girl" he teased.
"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, playfully punching his shoulder.
"You're so excited to see your necklace, and then to go find your soulmate. Girls are like that, Guys don't really care as much" Brendan said.
"Oh thats bull, you were happy to receive your necklace too. Now you and Zoe are perfect together" I said.

...

        You see, I live in a world where there is no heartbreak, theres only love. When you are born, you and another person born on your birthday are given a necklace broken in half, and your parents hide it for 18 years. Then, on your 18th birthday you receive your necklace and are given $1000 to help you go find your soulmate. I'm 17, turning 18 in 3 months. My brother Brendan is 20, and is now happily engaged to his lovely Zoe. This system never fails, you're always compatible with your other half. As a maturing teenage girl, I'm very curious to know who my match will be. Since I was a little girl, I've drawn sketches of what my possible match could be. On your 18th birthday, you or your soulmate will be given the name of the town that you are to travel to. Nothing more, just a simple name of their town or city and you have to go there, and find them. The other, will be given a notecard that once you hold it, the first name of your beloved soulmate will appear. One's 18th birthday is a big celebration in my world. It is the start of your life, the start of your family. 
"Emily, get down here, it's time for breakfast!" My mother shouted from downstairs.
"Coming mother!" I yelled as I rushed downstairs. 
"You have 10 minutes to eat, I need you to take the bus today I have errands to run" she said as I sat down
"Alright mom" I said as I quickly devoured my food.
        When I got to the bus stop, I sat on the bench and waited for the bus. I had my earbuds in, and was listening to a song from Taylor Swift's new album 1989 "Welcome to New York" I'm not a crazy fan of her music, but that song is real catchy. The bus came around the corner as Joel was running up to the bus stop. 
"Phew, I made it" he says out of breath.
"By the skin of your teeth, thats for sure" I laughed.
        Our school system is set so that when you reach senior year, you're 17 so that you're 18th birthday is after graduation. Senior year is set up to prepare you for adulthood, and your career after high school. Your classes are completely optional, I chose this year a culinary class so I can learn how to cook and bake, I took a life skills class so I can learn how to clean laundry, and do housekeeping stuff along with things like looking for a job. A history class, because I really enjoy learning about things that happened in the past. 

...

        After getting home from school, I went upstairs to research a recipe to use for my culinary class. The assignment was to look up a recipe using Pasta and to make it and bring it into class Friday. My group is me, Kendall and Amanda. We're looking up a unique lasagna recipe. We'll be using zucchini in ours, and make it into rolls. This is my favorite class so I have to do my best. 

...

"Mom tell me about how you met dad" 
"Well, on our 18th birthday we were given our necklace just like you and your soulmate will be given on your 18th birthday. He got the card, with my name. I got the card and $1000 with his hometown. I went there and we met in the Starbucks, as I approached from down the street my necklace was practically glowing and I walked in and he stood up and he came up to me and said 'Catherine?' and I said 'Yes, but you can call me Cat' " mother replied.
"I hope I find a guy who knows how to cook like Dad, I'll always love his pineapple apple pie how he mixes pineapple and regular apple mmm" I replied
"Or what about my apple apple pie with the green apples and red apples? You like that pie too! Practically ate the whole thing before I could get one slice last time" Dad said walking into my room.
"Get some sleep, you have a lot to think about for the next 3 months, Love you sweetie" Mom said
"Goodnight mom, Goodnight dad, I love you guys." I said sleepily
"Goodnight Ems, love you" Dad whispered as he kissed my forehead and turned out the lights