Prologue

I was in a heavy slumber, tossing and turning in my canopy bed.

I was dreaming of Mexico, where
my family was going on a two-week vacation in March.

In my dream, I was rolling around in the hot sand, letting it cover me like a warm blanket.

I stopped rolling and stared at the water. It was so gorgeous. The sun was setting, and it looked like it was sitting atop of the calm waters, releasing a glow of
orange, pink, and purple. There were sail-boats drifting as the boaters stopped to take in the breath-taking scenery.

I wished I could stay there forever.

Sadly, it wasn't to be.

I awoke to a hand slapping over my mouth, muffling my screams.
I thrashed around, prying at the hand covering my face, trying to loosen the grip.
The person started dragging me out of my bed.

I started sobbing.
The person bent down and whispered in my ear.

"I'm going to let go of your mouth now. If you even whisper, I will kill everyone in your family
and make you watch. Understand?"
I nodded slowly.
They let go, and moved the hand that was covering my mouth down to my shoulder.

"Put on your shoes and be outside in 5 minutes sharp, or your baby sister will be the first to go."
I nodded and let out a whimper.

I considered running and calling the cops. I could probably make it, I thought.
But I had a better idea: make sure I'm not endangering the life of my 6-month old sister first.

I tip-toed to her nursery, being as quiet as the squeaky floorboards would let me. I peeked around the door, my eyes darting around the room until they fell on the crib.

The crib that should have a baby in it.

The crib that DIDN'T have a baby in it.

I gulped. I internally debated on which decision I would make, and the consequences of each. I came to a conclusion.

So, I put on my beat-up red Vans and headed outside, making sure that Belle was safe and sleeping back in her crib before I got into a car with an unknown stranger in a black ski mask.