Chapter 6

After the incident, Evette was very much eager to teach the dukal couple which garners a very dumbfounded expression from the young duchess. That is what Jackson had happened to mention it to the duchess during her tea time.

"He briefly mentioned that if we hadn't found another magus, maybe we could officially hire him as the proper tutor both the duke and the duchess." Those were his words.

Speaking of which, Avianna had an appointment to inspect the kitchen and the storage room. Alongside her was Alphon, silently observing his wife.

The head chef, the sous chef along with the assistants, were gawking at the couple as their owners had never once step foot inside the kitchen.

Avianna and Alphon had eaten their dishes on a regular basis. It had tasted good, but the taste didn't sit quite well with her. She knows that the ingredients were all served fresh, and bought by the local farmers. The meals they made were the highest quality yet none was close to bringing out their best flavors.

Coming from a household to which her previous life's father, mother and grandmother cooks, her tastebuds are set on a very high criteria.

Nobles are very prideful and rightfully so. They were given authority and for them to maintain that gap among the commoners, were their high standard of living. An example of which are their cuisines made exclusively by their own personal cooks. Sadly, expensive ingredients doesn't change the truth that it doesn't mean that the food is delicious. A lot of these people had been wasting their resources and this is what the duchess had wanted to address.

"I need an apron and a hair tie." Reighlani, one of the duchess' personal maids were one of the people that had followed her. She was there to serve her owner in place of Jackson who had been sent for other household matter to take care of.

She was reluctant, knowing that a noble trying to cook is a very peculiar phenomenon. Reighlani cranks her head to the side as she finished tying the apron from her back.

"Young Miss, we can't possibly burden you with such tedious task at least let us do it per your instructions."

"It's fine." Alphon responses and waves his hand dismissively. His other hand subtly shaking and clenching. She knew that it was the limit of how far he could get. Deep wounds heal over time but kindness and affection moves the soul. She promises to make things easier for him.

Avianna ordered them to come a bit closer so they could see her do the work. Her first dish is shakshuka or in other terms, eggs from hell. It was a recipe that once became a trend from the internet.

She dices an onion and red bell pepper before putting it on a heated pan. She stirs the veggies before adding onion. She adds garlic and other spices until they were nice and fragrant.

The way she used the knife was akin to that of a very skilled chef. This demonstration of skills made the servants go haywire in awe and admiration.

She added peeled tomatoes and used her spatula to break them to smaller pieces. She made holes in to which she cracks a whole egg and into the pan. She waited for a few minutes and served it into a wooden plate. Sprinkled with salt and a generous amount of chopped parsley and cilantro, the food was served.

Avianna really wanted to add some stretchy cheese but couldn't because it hasn't been invented.

"It's called shakshuka. Please give it a try." She separated a portion for Alphon in another plate while the chefs took a taste test.

"Wow. Its delicious!" The head chef exclaimed, accompanied by hums of satisfaction from the rest.

Alphon's eyes brightened as soon as the spoon enters his mouth. Incredible. This was the first time he had eaten his wife's cooking and had planned to thoroughly clean his plate.

"Its merely the first dish." She sounded arrogant but it is what it is. It was one of the most simplest dish she could conjure with. Avianna could introduce a lot more but with the current culinary innovation, it was less likely.

Unlike the praises she received, she was simply a novice. As Concha, she was forced to learn how to cook. She had to do so as she was slowly starting to become more independent. With the power of technology, she could browse and experiment with endless amount of recipes as she want. The way she sliced those vegetables was only her following a very famous chef from a cooking show.

Stay grounded. She thinks.

"The second dish is named, baked milkfish."

a/n: yes, its a real recipe. and its canned peeled tomatoes but since they still don't have that canned concept so i'll leave it as that.