Prologue

The sky was a darkish grey that day, the flowers wilted under the barely shining sun and the blades of grass dripping with rain and a much darker substance.

It was quiet. So quiet, in fact, that you could hardly believe it was Earth.

One thing shattered the silence. It was a small sound, but nonetheless, it was there.

The sound of wheels squeaking against the ground became more audible as the seconds passed.

Gavin pulled the red wagon behind him, full of supplies such as food, water, and other vital objects. Glancing up ahead at his brother, he let out a weary sigh, exhaustion settling in his body.

Hearing this, the elder turned and walked towards him, offering a hand to take the wagon. There was a small nod of confirmation, and Stephen took the handle, walking up ahead with it.

The silence between the two brothers was probably odd from an outside perspective. But they had no words left to say, no tears left to cry, nothing to communicate verbally that would mean anything more than a look.

Words bring pain, the younger thought bitterly, some of the worst of them echoing in his mind as he tried to push them back.

"PLEASE STOP IT, DON'T!"

"You're nothing to me, never have been!"

"I'm sorry...I can't keep fighting.."

"I love you."

Gavin didn't realise he had stopped walking under a gentle hand on his shoulder brought him back to reality.

The brothers eyes met, too kind and youthful to have experienced the pain and sadness thrust upon them, but full of it all the same.

With somber expressions, they continued forward into the vacant world together.

jayisbebe
DarkDull59