seven. vagary

━━━━  · 。゚☆

━━━━ · 。゚☆ .☽ .* ☆゚. ━━━━

(n.) an unpredictable instance,
a wandering journey; a whimsical,
wild, or unusual idea, desire, or action

WHEN LOUIS WAS IN HIS THIRD YEAR, HE HAD GONE THROUGH A BIT OF A SEXUALITY CRISIS. And in his fourth year, there had been a boy he had found himself growing to like and it had left him confused with himself for the longest of time and he hadn't known what to do with himself for half of it.

Louis hadn't known what it was until he had confided in his Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Remus Lupin.

Louis hadn't known the reason as to why he decided to go to Professor Lupin for advice but he had seemed the most empathetic one out of the bunch of professors he had been surrounded by that year. Looking back, he had made the right decision because Professor Lupin had gone on to resign that same year so Louis was grateful that he had gone to him. When he had gone to see him, Lupin sat him down and passed him a piece of chocolate before asking him what brought him here.

"I think. . ." Louis had started, trailing off because he didn't know how to word it, "I think I'm starting like someone. But. . .they're not a girl."

"They're a boy?" Lupin had guessed and Louis nodded.

"Yes, but that's where I find myself getting confused," Louis went on, "you see, I still like girls but it's just this one boy in particular I can't seem to stop thinking about, the one I can't get my mind off of. I don't know if it's some sort of infatuation I have or if I actually like him. All I know is that I just think he's cute."

Lupin had nodded, taking in this information. "Have you told them how you felt?"

Louis had looked like he was going to jump out of his chair with the way he had sat up so quickly. "Gods, no! Are you mad?"

Laughing, Lupin had calmed him down, settling him back into his seat. "So, I'll take that as a 'no'. Louis, what is it exactly that you're seeking from me?"

"I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm feeling is okay to feel or not. I wouldn't want to freak anyone out, you know?"

"All I know is that whatever you're feeling inside is completely valid. I guess you could say the same about me. I'm a bit of an outsider compared to the rest of the professors here at school but I accept that what I am as a part of me so I'm okay and I learned to live with it. It's okay to be different, Louis. It's okay."

Louis had continued to carry Lupin's advice with him through his later years, a piece of that philosopher's knowledge that took the form of notes tucked into the pockets of his robes and little scribbles on the margins of his journals.