7: "She was looking for you."

7: “She was looking for you.”

For a long moment, Caspian didn’t notice anything unusual. He walked back into the living room and saw Caia leaning against the door but thought nothing of it. He refused to think of her more than he had to so he didn’t stop to wonder why she was there.

He was running one of her flowery blue towels through his hair, trying not to let the way this world’s clothing sat on his body bother him as he walked, and still trying to think of what he was going to do next. He couldn’t spend the rest of his life letting this woman take care of him. Not only did he not want to accept more help from an enchantress, his pride as a man refused to allow him to do so even if she hadn’t been.

He sat back on the sofa and threw the towel on her coffee table. He didn't know where she would want him to put it and he figured that she would tell him if she minded it there.

Caspian was thankful for the clothes she had bought him, he really was. They were just new fabrics that fit in a new way and he wasn't accustomed to them. They felt strange on his body, but he could admit that they weren't ugly. More than a few women had sent him looks after he had changed and he could judge for himself in the mirrors of the changing rooms that he didn't look bad. He would get used to them in time, he supposed.

For now, the important thing was thinking of a way out of here. He had planned to do that once Caia had left for work. She had told him that she would be leaving soon so her standing against her door the way she was was a bit confusing.

“Didn't you say that you had to leave?” he finally asked her without looking up. He didn't really care, but he was looking forward to some privacy for a few hours. That chance to think without having to worry about angering the enchantress was something he was looking forward to.

When she didn't respond was when he finally realized that something was wrong. He looked away from the wall he had been staring at without interest and over to her. It was immediately apparent to him that something was off. She was just staring at him.

He frowned. “What?”

She didn't answer, but her mouth opened a bit as though she was going to. Nothing came out and Caspian sighed.

He stood up and began walking over to her. As he got close, he finally noticed the photo that she was holding in her hand. What was that? Had she had that before?

Because it was the only thing about her that could be considered anomalous, Caspian snatched it from her numb fingers and held it up to see. Caia let out a soft cry of protest as she grimaced. She wasn't sure how to break the news of Simone coming to him because she wasn't even sure she understand all of the ramifications of it yet.

The effect on Caspian's face was immediate though. His face broke out in an angry snarl as his entire body tensed as the hatred that blazed into his eyes burned with a ferocity that surprised Caia.

“Where did you get this?!” He practically shouted the question.

Caia was startled and a bit scared by the change that had come over him and couldn't get her voice out fast enough for him. “

Where?! Tell me! Now!”

Caia jumped and squeaked in surprise when Caspian's hand slammed against the door right next to her head. He shoved the picture back in her face.

“Did this woman give you this?!”

Caia swallowed forcefully and was able to nod ever so slightly.

“Where is she? Where?!”

“Sh-She...” Caia couldn't get the rest of the words out and just pointed over her shoulder towards the front door.