part sixteen

ALYSSA

"Alyssa. Please. Just let me in," Andrew's drunken begging had been going on for at least two hours now, and it was nothing short of annoying, because I didn't need, or even want, to listen to anything which he had to say. I just wanted him to leave me the hell alone and I wanted him to let me sleep because I had a whole lot which needed to be done tomorrow, such as checking through Andrew's business emails so to organise the meetings which he was required to attend when we returned to New York.

"I think, perhaps, it's for the best if you just leave her alone, Andrew," I heard Robert attempt to move him away from my room. I wish I understood what Robert gained from their friendship because, to me, it only seemed that Andrew bossed Robert around and Andrew was an ass to the man who only wanted to help him. If I was him, then I would get out of that while I still could, but there was nothing to be gained.

"No. I need to apologise to her," Andrew shouted. But that wasn't going to get me to open the door, I didn't want his apologises, they were no good now that the damage had been done.

He could have stopped what happened. He could have prevented the humiliation I was forced to feel at the hands of those with whom he associated himself but, instead, he kept his mouth shut and he allowed them to belittle me, as though I was nothing and he didn't care. Because there was only person Andrew Collins gave a damn about, and that person was himself.

I had no reason to listen to him. I was, after all, just his personal assistant and The Board was just using me to bring down Andrew from the inside, as was the norm in my life. I was just being used, no one actually wanted me or wanted to be there for me, they just wanted to use me to get something in return—Darren used me for sex, Andrew used me for his source of entertainment, and The Board are using me to do their dirty work on their behalf.

"I don't think she wishes to speak with you. So, for once, do the right thing and leave her the hell alone," Robert told him firmly. I was grateful that there was someone on my side and not everyone was against me, I don't know what I would do if Robert had sided with Andrew rather than defending me.

"Alyssa. I am sorry, I should have said something, but I didn't because I am a fucking idiot, and, plea—"

"What is it going to take for you to get it through that thick skull of yours that I fucking hate you, Andrew? I don't want to see you, I don't want to speak to you, and I sure as hell don't want to hear your apologises," I finally opened the door and came face to face with the man himself. His suit was creased, his hair was dishevelled and I was hit with the overwhelming stench of alcohol the moment I opened the door to tell him where to stick it.

"I was a fucking idiot. But I didn't know—"

"Didn't know what to say? You know the hell Dean put me through and, instead of telling them to shut up, you allowed them to continue knowing the effect it would have on me. Now, I am trying to sleep, so I would appreciate it if you fucked off back to your room and slept of your obvious drunkenness," I slammed the door in his face and retreated back to the comfort of my bed.

"Alyssa?" I blinked a couple of times, acknowledged the hand which was waving in the front of my face, and looked up to see Jenni was standing in front of my desk. Since coming back from Chicago, and not receiving the holiday time I had been promised so that I could pay a visit to my parents, I have used my hatred of Andrew to become closer to Jenni and to actually get to know the woman she was, rather than the woman I assumed her to be—though I wasn't surprised when my suspicions about her sleeping with Andrew to get her job were correct.

"Huh?" I felt like an idiot for getting lost in my thoughts from that night. Andrew had come knocking on my door at two thirty in the morning, inebriated of course, and he did appear to be genuinely sorry for his behaviour, but that didn't mean I was going to forgive him and I sure as hell wasn't about to declare my friendship to the man either. It was too late to be sorry after the event.