As Above, So Below

As the time passed, the shuffling of cards that had begun as whispering background noise was now an irritating drone. Gideon seemed most bothered, a perturbed expression on his face, and after a while got up and went to the kitchen where he grabbed the book from his small bag to read.

Watching Gideon leave the room, Dipper nudged Norman with his elbow and whispered he would be back. He got up and went to the kitchen, quiet as he walked up to Gideon. Dipper took note of the book with a sense of surprise before joining him at the table.

"I'm surprised you read." Dipper quipped, earning an eye roll from Gideon.

"Yes, I read literature. As opposed to what you likely read, Pines-- UFO magazines and tabloids, no doubt."

"I don't, actually," Dipper scoffed, "though you of all people should believe in that stuff too, with all you've seen."

"I'm still not entirely convinced my entire life is merely a dead man's imagination." Gideon had glassy eyes, staring at the pages dully, as though he was millions of miles away.

"Morbid. But, given the circumstances, I'll give you a pass." Dipper muttered, "How are you doing?"

"What?" Gideon asked, as though he'd hallucinated. Did he detect genuine concern in Dipper's voice?

"How are you? With everything going on?" Dipper asked.

"Fine, I guess." Gideon lied, but his angry expression fell to fear. "No... actually, I'm not fine. Pacifica is dead. Her body-- she... she was right there, the whole time.

"Why didn't I know? Did he possess me to do that too? Could I have prevented that? My head is swimming-- not to mention all the madness over here with gods mingling around like we're at a dang cocktail party.

"Then, of course, once this all blows over-- if we're all still alive by the end of it-- what will I do? I'm still a minor. No one in this town likes me, I won't get hired by anyone! Believe me, I tried--"

"Gideon," Dipper sighed, choosing his words carefully. "The fact you're guilty about the idea of even being involved is enough. You didn't want her dead. I'm sure you brought her some peace, letting her parents know so they can properly bury her."

"Honestly, I loved my hut, it was the first thing I had that really felt like it was mine..." Gideon whispered, his voice cracking. He pinched his nose with his fingers, exhaling sharply. He did not want to get emotional, not here.

Gideon looked back at Dipper, eyes red as he bit back tears, "But I could never go over there again, not after seeing her there. I hope they tear it down, now. Poor Pass, she thought everything was going well for her. She was getting good enough prospects that she dropped out of school and was ready to make good money starting at someplace out of town, but then she turns up dead. She had a bright future ahead of her, unlike the rest of us stuck in the Falls. She was my only friend--"

"It had nothing to do with you," Dipper insisted. "Plus, minor or not, I am sure someone in town would hire you. They could always put you on an overnight shift, worst case. You get more money that way too. Don't worry about it yet, let's get past this first."

Gideon nodded, more to himself than anything, and thanked Dipper half-heartedly before immersing himself back in the book. Dipper returned to the main area and sat next to Norman, leaning against the boy's side.

Dipper wondered how things had been for Gideon without his folks around-- at least his parents were around, even if they weren't always there for the two of them. Gideon probably quit school as soon as he could, based on his isolation in that cabin and how they left things post-Bill. Maybe the Northwests gave him a paycheck, but he doubted they would treat him like a son-- they rarely gave their own daughter the luxury.