CHAPTER 2 SEGUNDO LAZARO THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR

That morning Arturo Alejandro woke up with a bad headache. Segundo was preparing Mohimud to go to Cabezera (main town).

"Tatay ... May I come with you, it's Saturday ... no school." Elias begged his father.

"Bueno, help me carry some things in the talipapa (market) on the way back " Segundo tied Arturo's hands together with a rope on Mohimuds horns.

"You'll pay for this filthy Indio!!!" rudely said by the Principalia (Spanish-Filipino descent).

"Don't ever say that to my Tatay!!" Elias yelling at Arturo.

"Stop talking Senor Arturo ... I'll put carabao waste in your mouth if you talk again" Warned by Segundo .

        Segundo carried Elias in Mohimuds back covered Arturo's hand with a shirt and gave him a sombrerong buntal (straw hat ) . He stripped him off the Kamatayans costume avoiding attention from the townspeople . Travelling in the heat of the sun for hours, they stopped in the shade of a Caimito tree (star apple tree). Segundo gave Arturo a drink

"Tatay what are you doing this person must be punish he needs to suffer why are you giving him water?" Elias complaining to his father

"It is not us to give punishment we have institutions to provide that" Elias argued to his father to give that racist Principalia (mixed race upper class) what he deserves.

" Anak (son) , we may be poor but it's not the wealth or race that builds a man,   it's the character and the way you treat others that make you rich " . Segundo explained wholeheartedly to his son.

"Wrong Indio!! We Principalias will rule! We're the superior race You will all bow to us!!! You're all our SLAVES!!!" Arturo rudely interrupted the father son conversation.

" Time will come we poor people can all gain the knowledge our children will all go to schools and equalize this society of yours..   knowledge will become our weapon wisdom will be the way to rule our country , not race." Proudly said by Segundo.

"Elias go take a piss ... now. " Ordered by his father. Segundo took a handkerchief covered the Principalias mouth then put the big straw hat while Elias was urinating.

        They arrived at the Cabezera .

"Elias you guard Mohimud, Me and Senor Alejandro will go to the Cabeza de barangay I won't be long.. you wait for me and don't roam around alone." Segundo

        He remove the rope tied to Arturo connecting to Mohimud also remove the handkerchief in his mouth and escorted him to the Barangay hall. The Cabeza is his childhood friend Enrico Pilapil. A corn and rice farmer at Barrio Pagsangahan. Segundo reported the incident to Enrico, Enrico asked Arturo if the scythe and the costume was his property. Arturo admitted that the weapon and costume was his, also admitted what he done to the Lazaro family.

"Segundo we'll turn-over the suspect Arturo Alejandro to the Guardia civil (civil guard) custody I'll inform you the date of the trial For now ... You can go home regards to Sisa and the kids. Get your Lambanogs (coconut wine) ready." Cabeza Enrico Pilapil

        Segundo called Elias

"Bunso go get Mohimud we're going to the Talipapa(food market)."

"Tatay can I have some Bucayo (coconut candy) and Suman (rice cake)." Elias

"Bueno help me buy some vegetables and bagoong Alamang (anchovies)" Segundo