𝟭𝟬 - 𝗡𝗮𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗲 | 𝗕𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴

If I don't make sense
Please, forgive me, I can't sleep at night
At least, not alone, not anymore
Not since I found what I never went lookin' for

If I don't make sensePlease, forgive me, I can't sleep at nightAt least, not alone, not anymoreNot since I found what I never went lookin' for

Breaking up with Zayn was the hardest thing I had to do in my entire life.

After an hour or two of Styles glaring at me while I drank coffee and overthought, I decided ghosting my boyfriend for months wasn't going to solve my current situation. I had to meet him and explain him, because, after all, I still loved him.

I had told him to meet me outside of my hotel, Harry asking too much questions that I never answered just because he was annoying the fuck out of me.

"Hi, Nat." Zayn smiled fondly and then leaned towards me to peck my lips, but I had to stop him. If he kissed me, there was no way I could ever let him go. "What's wrong, babe?"

"Zayn..." I whispered, trying to find the right words not to hurt him and myself. There was no easy way to say this. A fucking eight-year relationship wasn't easy to end. "We need to break up."

His expression was something I prayed I would never have to see again, because he looked genuinely hurt; his lips were parted in shock and his eyes gave away nothing but pain and sorrow. I contained a strangled sob and felt my palms getting sweaty for every second he stayed silent.

"W-Why?" He stuttered all of a sudden, shaking his head and seeming as though he was asking it more to himself than to me. "I love you, Nat..."

"I love you more, Z, I swear I do." I was quick to answer back, my voice cracking near the end. "But it's... I have to do a job and... and they told me I had to accept or else they would kill you."

"You know I can take care of myself..." He smiled lightly, but it didn't reach his eyes. His voice sounded so soft, like he was afraid he'd break the tender atmosphere surrounding us.

"I know, baby, but what if something happens and I lose you? I can't risk your life like that." I walked closer to him and cupped his cheek, seeing the tears prickle the corners of his eyes and shining under the lights.

"Please," Zayn begged. My heart was already breaking the minute his voice cracked, and I knew I had to get this done quickly before I broke into tears myself. I never cried, absolutely never, but this was way beyond my judgement.

"I'll come back for you, I promise, but don't go looking for me. I'll be okay, just wait and we'll be together again before you can even imagine." I pressed my forehead against his, whispering softly. "I love you."

Before he could reply, I turned on my heel and left, though the quiet "I love you too" didn't go unnoticed.

I climbed the stairs to my apartment quickly, wanting to cry but not a single tear coming out. I hated being like this. The last time I cried was six years ago and now I never left a single emotion peak through my face. I didn't like being vulnerable, but I was now and the only thing I needed was to cry.