18. Shocking news

She vomits again. Hardly could eat anything in the last few days.

Jude looks worried.

He asks, "Are you sick, Jules? Shall I call a doctor?"

She shakes her head. Jude knows she's afraid of a doctor. She fears her cover would be blown. After all she is a woman dressed in a male clothing.

Jude comments, "No worries. My family doctor could be trusted. He won't tell anyone else."

She couldn't eat anything. Even her favorite desserts made her nauseous.

Finally she gives up.

Jude's doctor gives her a thorough check up. The old man has mistaken her for his mistress. It's the only logic way for a honorable Duke to keep a woman in his mansion.

The doctor takes off his glasses and rubs his eyes. A child born out of wedlock is unfortunate one. He or she would be condemn forever. Still the soft hearted doctor would never advise for abortion. He and his wife have no child after married for many years.

He says solemnly, "Congratulations, Milord. She is pregnant."

It's like a thunderbolt in clear sky. Jude couldn't believe his ears for a moment.

He staggers when he asks, "Wh...what did you...say?"

"She's pregnant. Maybe a month's old."

Jules covers her face with a pillow. She has her suspicion. Her period is late this month.

Jude's face is cold and frosty. As if he is no longer a human being. A God filled with unspeakable wrath.

The doctor has left with a servant. Jude has paid him in enormous amount to keep his mouth sealed.

No one is in the room except for Jude and Jules.

Jude asks coldly, "Who is the father?"

Jules is silent.

"It's him, isn't it?"

Jules asks, "You already know. Why you have to ask?"

Jude lifts a chair and throws it to a mirror. Jules screams out of fright. They have known each others for years. She has never seen him lost his temper like this.

Jude shakes his head.

He only comments, "Moron. In his eyes, you are just a cheap whore. Free to use and dump anytime."

Her eyes become misty. Teardrops have fallen from her cheeks like rain. Jude looks hurt. He reaches her to wipe away her tears. She pushes him away.

Jude says nothing when he leaves her bedroom. Never look back again.

Jules is holding a star shaped rock. She kisses it.

She whispers, "He is wrong. Daniel loves me. He loves me very much."

She got dresses. She couldn't eat anything without throwing up later. She only drinks a little bit of tea to wash away the sourness in her mouth.

A carriage has been waiting in front of the mansion when she leaves through front door.

The coachman explains, "Milord said you might want a ride."

Jules nods her head.

It's just his style. Jude is angry with me. He still cares for me in his heart.

She climbs into the carriage a bit more carefully than usual. A baby is in her womb. Daniel's child.

She imagines how Daniel would react when he hears it. Maybe he would grin widely. Maybe he would look dumbfounded.