Chapter 15: The Exit

When we get through the door we come to a screeching halt. I let go of Roman's hand.

"What is this?" I ask, my voice shaking.

'This' is a small room filled with a checkered pattern. Black and white. Everywhere. My vision starts messing up and I close my eyes for a moment to give them a rest. I open them back up and Roman is observing the four walls.

"Roman. What are we supposed to do here? Find a trap door or something?" I say sarcastically.

A small smile spreads across his face and he looks at me.

"Right. Exactly. These walls are just an illusion." He responds.

He walks across the floor and slides the toe of his boot over the ground lightly. He stops for a minute and stomps on the ground with his heel and I see a thick black line appear on the ground. I run over and grab the trap door, pushing it all the way open. I smile at Roman.

"You're smart."

"You're smarter. Go ahead." He motions for me to walk down the steps of the trap door.

I go down the steps as fast as I can and Roman follows me, leaving the trap door open. The room is so dark that we cant even see right in front of us. I feel on the walls, brick, for something that I could possibly light. I suddenly feel metal through the brick and I pick up the metal object. I stare at it hard, trying to figure out of its a torch or something. I feel Roman's hand glide over my booty and I jump. I grab his hand to keep him from grabbing anything else and I hold the object in front of his face.

"Can you see this?" I ask in the darkness.

He takes it from me and examines it as best as he can. 

"We cant use this to light anything, if that is what you're thinking." He answers.

I sigh and grab the thing from him, tossing it on the ground. With a loud 'clink' light appears in the darkness. We both turn around and I pick the object back up.

"I thought you said.." I start.

"It made a spark... we just need some wood or something that we can light when it sparks." He says pulling me in the direction he is going.

"Roman the walls are made of brick. The floor is concrete. I dont think there is any wood or paper around here." I say angrily.

"Trust me." he says simply.

I tighten my grip on his hand as he navigates around the darkness as if he can actually see. I almost trip and I lean down, dragging Roman with me, and pick up the object that I almost fell over. I almost drop it as it pierces my skin. I keep from screaming as I grit my teeth.

"I think I found a stick. A splintered stick." I say through gritted teeth.

"Okay all you need to do is hold the stick on the ground as I create another spark." Roman says.

I hold the stick near the ground and Roman bangs the object on the ground, creating a spark. The stick lights, but the fire goes out after a second. I scoff. Roman hits the object on the ground a few more times and finally the stick lights and stays lit. I sigh and hold it up. Roman takes the stick from me and places it inside of the metal object, some kind of torch holder and we navigate through the semi-darkness.

"What if we went the wrong way?" I ask.

"Then we will just turn around." Roman says nonchalantly.

His calmness is almost aggravating. We are on limited time and he is just making it seem like we have all day and night to do this. I take the makeshift torch from him as he slips his hair into a bun and my eyes get wide when there is a door at the end of the hallway.