Seven

Little Rain - Morgan Wallen

"You're really going, huh?" Morgan asks as he takes her hands in his.

"Morgan, I wanna finish my degree." She says in a shaky voice. "I want to stay but I really can't."

"I get it." He sighs, dropping her hand. "I'll see you 'round." He pulls away from her, starting to walk back to his house. There's a clap of thunder in the sky as it starts to downpour.

He almost makes it to the door when he's stopped by a hand on his forearm. Dani pulls him down for a kiss, tugging him towards her. He stumbles but catches himself with a hand on the doorframe behind her as their lips lock. His hand holds the back of her soaking wet head, her hair tangling around his fingers as she holds onto the front of his flannel, keeping him down.

They pull apart and she sees tears in his eyes through her own. "I love you." She whispers, using her thumb to wipe away some of his tears. "I'll be back in twelve weeks." He scoffs, rolling his eyes to fight back tears. "We can call each other and visit." He sighs and nods. "I love you, Morgan."

"I love you too." She takes his hand and leads him to her car. He opens the door for her then closes it, smacking his hand against the door. "Call me when you get there, okay?" She nods and leans out the window to give him another kiss. "Get on outta here before I make a scene, darlin'." He waves her off, wiping away more tears. She waves at him as she backs down the dirt driveway, driving away.

She gets to Rutledge, about 40 minutes away from Knoxville, when she huffs and grabs her phone. "Hey Hardy." She says, turning into a gas station to park.

"What's up, girly? You on your way?"

"I'm not comin' back."

"What? Are you okay?"

"I don't know, I think I just want to be with Morgan."

"Over a law degree?"

"My credits can transfer to the community college in town. It's still a degree."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"No." She takes a deep breath. "I love him, Michael but I also want to finish school."

"If he loves you, he'll let you go." He says softly. "If he loves you, he'll wait."

"If he was talkin to you right now, you'd probably say that if I loved him I would stay."

"Not one bit. I'd tell him the same thing." She starts crying quietly. "C'mon back here and see how you feel, alright?" She nods and takes another deep breath.

"Okay, I'm on my way. I'll be there in about 45 minutes."

"Alrighty." He answers. "Drive safe, baby."

"I will." She hangs up and starts driving again, going straight to their apartment.

+++

As soon as she steps foot in the apartment, Hardy is there with open arms. She gives him a sad smile as she collapses against him, hugging him tightly. "You okay, darlin'?"

"I will be." She cried most of the way down but settled down after a while. "I miss him."

"He misses you too." She rolls her eyes. "Seriously."

"You didn't see the way he looked at me when I told him." She sits down on the couch. "You didn't see that look in his eyes when I told him I was leaving." Hardy hands her a mug full of coffee. "Thank you."