You touched the pawn, you move the pawn

CHAPTER 5
Las Vegas, 1950

     After Violet took the empty seat in front of the side table, her chestnut-coloured eyes didn't leave the chessboard — although Benny's orbs scanning from time to time over her focused expression were tempting her to glance up and stare back into his.

     When they had started to play, the timing between each of their moves was inexistent. Every move was fast and well-calculated. At first, Violet had doubts about whether to accept or decline his suggestion. She had thought that her overwhelming fear of being watched while losing would make her feel absentminded. That she'd vanish like a coward again.

     But the vast desire to show him off was enough for Violet to start and finish the game.

     Speed chess was something Violet didn't think of as a demanding way of playing, but at the same time, she believed it was out of her element. When she would get some free time without her father telling her to avoid her so to speak opponents, Violet was happy to enjoy some speed chess games with the kids around her age. But aside from that, Benny was clearly more excelling than most of the players around the world.

     The room was silent as Violet and Benny stood facing each other, two pawns in their own game of chess. The pieces were arranged in a tricky pattern, each move influencing the outcome of the game, but more importantly, both of their lives.

     Violet had been playing for hours, her mind sharp and her hand steady, despite her physical exhaustion. However, the end was near, and with it, her only chance to win the game. She paused, her hand hovering above the board, her heart racing as she contemplated her next move.

          "Wait," Violet whispered to herself, though everyone was able to hear her words perfectly. She pulled her hand forward, above the chessboard, so Benny wouldn't move anything. The man's brow furrowed, his gaze trained on her hand, but he made no move to counter hers.

     It was obvious that he was breathlessly anticipating her loss. The look on his face when she touched the pawn let him know there was no chance left for Violet to move the rook instead and win the game. Benny gently grabbed her wrist and slowly pushed her arm aside.

          "Well, that's what rules are made for," he told her. Violet flickered her eyes back up when Benny touched her, but managed to ignore other emotions that had filled up her stomach.

     She nervously chewed the inside of her mouth, as if to fight back rising anxieties. Her heart raced and her mind swirled, torn between her desire to succeed and a fear of failure. "I am one move away."

          "Except you touched the pawn."

     Violet grabbed the table's edge with her hand, drawing Benny's attention to her. "Not if Rook mates on E8 and drags the Queen over to the square where Knight can capture Rook on F6, leaving me up a Queen for a Knight," Violet almost lashed out at him.

     Benny's eyes blazed as they shot to her hand, hardening like steel. "Nice smart talk. But you touched the pawn," his voice was low and menacing, dripping with a chill that seemed to seep into every corner of the room.

          "I'm not giving up on this." Her words hung in the air for a moment, and Violet could feel the weight of them on her hands.

          "You touched the pawn, you move the pawn."

     The young woman let go off the table and sighed loudly. After she'd come back to her senses, she started to rub the back of her neck as Benny replaced the pieces and everyone started to applause. She wasn't ashamed, she just felt angry about it. She knew that if he wasn't going to do her like that, Violet could have been the winner. Indeed, she touched the pawn but she wasn't planning to move it. It was just her feeling comfortable enough to play with the pieces while reflecting on her next move.