An Unforgettable Prom

Max was very annoyed. The whole junior class was buzzing about prom. Ethan couldn't shut up about it. He rambled on about how he was going to ask Kylie.

"Bro, she's your girlfriend. She's not gonna reject you." Luca said in a feeble attempt to shut him up.

"I guess you're right. What about you, Max? Got any girl you're interested in?" Ethan asked as Max looked up quickly from his books.

"I'm not worried about prom. Honestly, all my focus has been on making your sister's grades improve." Max said, scribbling notes in a textbook to prepare for a tutoring session.

"Have you considered Iris?" Luca asked. 

Ethan looked at both of them angrily, "No! My sister! The alpha boy is not touching her!"

"Luca, what gave you that idea?" Max was confused. Me and Iris? He thought, No, not in a million years. She's just a friend. A nice, talented, beautiful- what the heck?! Where did that come from?

"Well, I just know she is the only girl you won't get rejected by. Just go as friends."

"I was actually thinking Maya..." He said as his face warmed up.

"You have no chance with the most popular girl in school," Ethan said as he motioned towards the blonde-haired girl at the desk in front of them. Max stared at her. He had been hoping they were soulmates ever since he became an Alpha. The bell then rang, taking him out of his trance.

Max sighed, "I've gotta go. Principal Garrison needs his monthly report on Iris's grades." He walked out of class and started devising a plan. 

~.~.~

"Hey, Iris?" Max asked as they worked on some homework in the library.

"What?" Iris said as she looked up.

"I... need advice." His face went warm from embarrassment. "There's this girl I want to ask to prom..."

"P-Prom?!" She looked shocked, "Your shy self wants to ask a girl to prom?"

"Yes, and I need your help. What do I do?"

"Well..." She thought for a moment, then smiled, "You need to surprise her. Put balloons outside her locker, give her flowers, and have a big sign asking her to prom."

Max smiled wide, "Thanks, Iris! You're the best friend ever!"

"T-That's me." She said as a small smile appeared on her face. He ran out excitedly to go to the store.

As Max ran out, Iris was very confused. A girl?! From what she knew, the only girls he could talk to were Alice, Kyla, and her. Kylie is taken and he's scared of Xandria. It had to be her! It was obvious, right? She grabbed her books and skipped out of the library.

~.~.~

The next morning, both Max and Iris were excited. Max thought he finally had a shot with Maya. But, Iris thought she was going to be asked to prom by Max. She sprinted to her locker, hoping to find balloons.  To her surprise, there was nothing. No balloons, no flowers, and no Max. She was very confused. Maybe he isn't asking me today, She thought. She started walking to the sophomore homeroom but stopped. Iris saw Max in front of a girl she didn't know with a sign asking her to prom. As she held back tears, she knew she would have to pretend like nothing's wrong. That she'd have to watch him go to prom without her. 

~.~.~

Max had prepared everything before school. He waited by Maya's locker until she got to school. He started freaking out, but he calmed himself down.