One Half (remrom) angst

Trigger warnings: remrom, angst, soulmate-specific angst

Roman sighed as he stopped his pacing to look out of his window. He didn't know what he hoped to see, but he knew that the grand display of the MindPalace gardens wasn't it. He huffed another frustrated sigh. Through all the bonding with the other sides, all of his quests, he still felt incomplete and he hated himself for feeling that way.

Even if he found the prince of his dreams, he still wouldn't feel whole. Because he wasn't. He was never meant to be "Roman". He wasn't supposed to be The Prince. He wasn't supposed to be one half of Creativity. He wasn't supposed to be alone. He wasn't complete.

Roman had always loved the idea of soulmates. They were the most romantic stories he'd ever read, one soul bonding to its other half. But soulmates weren't supposed to exist. The agony of being separated from his soulmate still felt like thorny vines clawing their way up his throat.

He needed his other half. His soulmate. He hated the fact. He hated his soulmate. He hated that he was so desperate to be King Creativity again.

The day one became two was the start of his life, and also the start of his suffering. Patton had insisted that they be split apart for moral reasons. The pain he felt during that split still echoed through his bones. 

He had blamed Patton during his first week, but he didn't anymore. The fatherly figure had had no idea the kind of pain he went through. There was no way of knowing until it was too late. But it was what was best for Thomas, and Roman couldn't deny that.

He also couldn't deny the pain and longing that was eating away at him. He needed Remus, but he couldn't have him. Spending too much time together would cause them to become King Creativity again, and he couldn't do that to Thomas or Patton. If they were together, they would be forced to separate again, and he couldn't handle that again.

So he kept his pain to himself and tried to fill his void with friendship with the other sides. With Thomas's romantic life. With his adventures. It didn't do much, but it was something.

So now Roman stripped out of his clothing and made his way to his bed, climbing under the covers and wrapping his arms around his naked body, pretending that everything was okay. That was fine. Pretending was what he did best. It didn't help much, but it was all he had. He was all he had.