Enough - 3

Characters: Tommy, Wilbur (Mentioned), Techno (Mentioned)

CW // High stress, Self doubt, Emotionally harsh parenting

Setting: AU where Wilbur, Techno, and Tommy were all brothers in a different household before being adopted by Phil

Storyline: Tommy is nearly failing his classes

------------------------------------------------------

Tommy wasn't dumb.

He knew when he missed his assignments. He knew about his D in History and his E in Spanish. But his parents wanted answers, so he made up excuses to satisfy them.

He used to be a star student. A "gifted" kid. He used to be in special programs and turn back great report cards to his parents in his earlier years. 

He used to be smarter than some his older brothers had been at his age. He didn't have to try as hard in school. He never developed a work ethic. He never had to try too hard. It just came to him.

Tommy remembered the year it changed. Year 7. He had been taking a lot of singing lessons that year, just like Wilbur had.  He was in between levels, so he had to take more classes and it filled his schedule. He just wanted to drop a class.

But then came his mom's words. 

"If you drop this class, do you really think you can compete with the other boys at auditions in January?"

"When Wilbur was your age, he took even more classes than you. You shouldn't complain."

"Imagine how this will affect your future!"

The class was eventually dropped, as was his self esteem. 

It was that year he got really into the internet. He started making accounts and interacting on multiple platforms. On the internet, nobody knew his brothers. Nobody could compare him. He could be his own person. So he spent hours talking to people on Discord and scrolling through Twitter.

He started doing it in class too. Singing lessons were now online, so he did it during those as well. It's not that he didn't like it anymore, he just felt happier online.

His grades started to drop.

"When Techno was your age, he could turn in all his assignments and was never distracted."

"Even Wilbur had higher grades than you."

"How come you can never just pay attention?"

"You will sit here, right now, and do all your work right in front of me."

"I'll delete all your social media accounts."

And so he started caring even less. 

Eating in class, never bothering to answer the teacher, lying about his mic being broken. It was all too easy. He had hotkeys set up to switch browsers to hide the fact he watched streams during class and muted the class window.

He was getting almost too good at weaseling his way out of sticky situations and lying about homework. 

He knew why he stopped caring. He didn't want to live up to expectations. God, how he hated expectations.

If his best wasn't good enough, what would be anyway?

__________________________________________

432 words.

Vent chapter today boys. This is why I haven't updated in a while. I have 3 drafts saved and lots of ideas, so expect more coming in the next week or so.

I'm sorry for taking such a long break. I just needed to tell someone how I felt. I hope you all understand.

Also, the dream smp amiright?? sad times all around.

Anyway, peace out. Hopefully I'll feel better soon.

12/7/2020 (edited 12/20/2020)

ALSO THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE READS!!!! IVE JUST BEEN REALLY UNMOTIVATED RECENTLY BUT I APPRECIATE IT A LOT <3