Again (Chapter 11)

Chapter 11

Again

Annabeth's POV

I knocked on the door. My heart beating loudly and feeling like it was in my throat. I had thought this through and I needed to focus on my career and I was too scared for a relationship. I needed to walk away first, before he could leave me.

"Hey" Percy said with surprise as he opened the door. "Are you feeling better? Because you don't look so good, Wise Girl. Do you want to come in?" He asked and made room for me to walk in. When I shaked my head he looked even more surprised.

"Why, are you gonna break up with me? Because last time we stood here you said you wouldn't scare me like that again." He smirked a little. But when I didn't laugh and had tears in my eyes he looked again like he had been punched in the guts.

"No, no, no. This is a prank right? Because why? Did I do something? Please say it is a prank and that Jason and Nico aren't really getting groceries.

When I shaked my head again tears began to form in his eyes.

"Why?" His voice cracked and the tears didn't fade. I'd never seen Percy cry.

"It's not you it's me. And uhm... I have been thinking about this a lot and I want to focus on my career."

"You have been thinking about this?" Percy whispered. "Is that why you have been so distant? And why didn't you talk to me?" Percy was silently crying now, tears slowly falling. "We can still talk about it. Do you love me?"

I started crying too. "Yes, of course Percy. But..."

"Then we can talk. If we love each other we can get through anything. Please Beth." He looked at me pleadingly.

"I- I just can't Percy. I- I love you so much, remember that. But I can't hold on to you. And I've already made up my mind."

"But I can't let go of you." Percy whispered again. But he knew that he couldn't stop me. I had already made my decision. It would all work out for him in the end. He deserved so much more.

"I need to go." I turned around to walk away, but he gently grabbed my wrist and I looked up at him. Those broken eyes. He was silently crying. Tears streamed down his face and his nose was red.

"Please... Please. I can't lose you." He sobbed.

"I'm so, so sorry."

And I hugged him trying to remember everything. "I really loved your performance." I mumbled against his shoulder.

We looked like a mess. Both crying by the door. But it was time to go. "I love you." He said, while his voice still cracked.

"I love you too."

And Percy let go of me and I left him there. With both our hearts broken.

And with that I walked away from my best friend and now ex boyfriend Percy Jackson.