It Could Be Worse

This year the holiday season weighed heavily on Asami. It was the first year without her father. Before she lost both of her parents this was her favorite time of year. She loved watching the snow fall in Central Park and ice skating at the rink at Rockefeller Center. She loved going with her dad to pick out the perfect tree at a nearby Christmas tree farm. She loved waking up on christmas morning and running downstairs to open her presents. She loved the holiday feeling that New York City always had. But this year it was hard for her to enjoy it.

Christmas is a little over two weeks away and she still hasn't decorated. She picks up the picture frame on her desk and runs her fingers over her parents faces. Smiling softly she recalls this memory that is captured in time. She remembers how it used to drive her mom crazy that after tinkering with various trinkets the bow on her head would always end up crooked somehow. Her mom would always make sure she looked her best before leaving the house and for taking pictures. This time in particular was no exception.

She remembers her mother calling her father and her down to take this picture and when they got downstairs she made sure to straighten both of them out. She took after her father because his tie always needed straightening. After her mom passed she always made sure she looked her best. No matter the situation because, it always reminded her of her mother. With a sigh she put down the picture just as her office phone rang.

"Sato here" She answers.

"Ms. Sato you told me to contact you if anything were to come up. One of our business prospects, up in Toronto, would really like to set up a meeting with you."

"Which one is it because, you know, if it's Cabbage Corp. I'm going to have to hard pass." Her assistant laughs on the other line.

"No worries ma'am I would never waste your time with such a proposal. It's actually Mr. Varrick from Varrick Global Industries."

"Oh I was wondering if he'd ever get back to me. When was he looking to schedule a meeting?"

"He has an opening on Friday morning. But he said that he really would rather it be an in person meeting."

"Hmm in three days and I have to travel to Canada. What would happen if I were to decline his offer?"

"He said that he already has some good offers from local companies and he will be making a decision Friday afternoon."

"Well it looks like I don't really have much choice here. Schedule the meeting and book me a hotel."

"Did you also need me to book a flight?" Her assistant asks.

"No. I was thinking I could use a good long drive to clear my head."

"Not a problem ma'am. I'll make the arrangements and add it to your calendar."

Just like that Asami headed home to pack her bags and prepare her car for the drive. After careful consideration she decided to take the custom car her dad and her build during her Sophomore year of high school. He loved taking her for drives through rural New York and she felt like this would be a great way to get as close to him as possible. She needed this.

The next day she packed her car and headed North. The weather for the trip was surprisingly clear and she knew it must be a sign. She always thought that her parents were always watching over her. Maybe it was coincidence but it helped her get through some of the hard days. So sue her if she believed her parents spoke to her in random ways like this.

For the first couple hours the trip was turning out to be a great decision. She hasn't felt this free and calm in months. Not since her fathers passing. But that joy was short lived because while singing one of her favorite songs the dreaded rumble from the engine and white smoke quickly wiped the smile off her face.