(5) Partner

I was sitting at my favorite spot. Usually avoided, bored, and unnoticeable. I had liked that spot from the very first day of my college. As I opened my book for the revision, I suddenly noticed him. He came into the classroom and without even sparing a glance in my direction, sat ahead of me. I sighed. Maybe he'd realized about my "Non-friend zone" suggestion!

I averted my eyes towards the door. Miss Kim So Hyun entered the classroom. She was the kindest teacher I ever came across in my entire being. She put papers on the dice and looked at us. Then she smiled with her eyes and came in front of the class.

"Kids, there is going to be a project and you need to be paired up with one of your partners. I am happy that I already had chosen your project mates so don't be bothered by my choice."

She stated in a gooey voice and the whole class groaned in irritation. She seemed fascinated by the students' reactions. I sighed then placed my chin on my palms. I patiently waited for my project partner to be announced. She was declaring partners. Then she looked up and poked her finger at Jimin. The remaining girls were overjoyed as Miss Kim was now smiling at Jimin and declaring his project mate.

"Jimin-ah you are paired up with Ilsa."

She said in a calm voice and I flinched back. What did she just say? I enlarged my eyes and my brows went upward in surprise.

"Go sit with her. From now on, you would be doing all of your course work with her."

She said and smiled again. My mouth dropped and I groaned mentally. Why this was happening to me? Why this had to happen to me? I was not ready at all. A project with Jimin!

My train of thoughts trailed off as I saw him standing and coming towards my seat. He did not look at me. He was looking down with a smirk on his face. He must've felt my stunned eyes at him. As he sat right next to me he maintained an obvious distance between us.

I looked around. Girls were staring at me with utter enviousness and boys were giggling at our pairing. I was a weirdo and Jimin was a star to them. They'd a right to laugh at such an awful pair! 

"Don't tell me you've done this. Don't you?"

"Done what?"

He tilted his head toward me. Those glorious eyes were gorgeous from much a closer distance. I couldn't resist him. I instantly turned my gaze at my book.

"You know what I am talking about Jimin-shi. You know what I am saying"

"I don't know."

He said while blinking his puppy eyes. My jaw dropped at his innocence.

"Just accept this. Am I right? This is not a coincidence?"

And unexpectedly he nodded. My eyes went large at his sudden approval.

"Why?"

"I did not do anything wrong. I just went to Miss Kim, told her that I want to be paired up with you. Maybe she considered me as her humble student or she was being considerate about you. She knew from the very start that if you end up with another pathetic student, this could get worse for you. Then she allowed me as your project mate and it is alright. Are you done with your questions now?"

In the end, he wiggled his brows and I sighed.

"There was no need for such concern Jimin. You don't have to go that far. I am alright with another student in this class. Maybe I am a weirdo and awful for them but one day they'll accept me. I am sure about it."

I reassured him with my tight smile. He looked at me.

"Don't say such words for yourself."

"What's wrong with that?"