THREE

DADDY ISSUES

THREE...

after diego's slight episode in the group therapy session, the trio were now partaking in silent arts and crafts

after diego's slight episode in the group therapy session, the trio were now partaking in silent arts and crafts. fucking brilliant. cynthia hated silence, especially when she had to do arts and crafts at the same time. she was a person who spoke to herself often and hummed a lot, so she had to strain herself to succumb to the silence. instead of speaking to herself, she got her thoughts out through tapping in morse code. cynthia had tried to teach diego and lila morse code once but they both got too frustrated and gave up before even knowing the first four letters of the alphabet.

speaking of diego being frustrated, he seemed to be really struggling with his bracelet. this was such a common occurrence that cynthia and lila hadn't even taken any notice of it yet. diego admired how cynthia could do everything so perfectly and elegantly whilst his anger got the better of him. why did she never get angry? why can she do everything she's tasked with? why is she making these stupid bracelets so effortlessly? diego thought that it wasn't quite fair.

"god, this is stupid. i can't." diego gave up with his bracelet and threw it on the table. cynthia had taken no notice of the conversation that was beginning at the table, having been too preoccupied with her own bracelet and her little morse code conversation with herself. cynthia jumped, completely startled by lila's sudden gasp. she dropped her beads and turned to the other two with a slight sadness in her eyes. diego didn't like the way sadness looked on her face.

"this'll cheer you up." lila slammed her foot on the table which further startled cynthia, almost causing her to fall off her chair. lila then pulled a strip of bacon from her shoe and cynthia's eyes lit up. "smuggled it out of the lunchroom. do you want some?" diego looked at the piece of bacon as cynthia eagerly nodded behind the crazed man.

lila took notice of the girl nodding behind diego and snapped the bacon in half for them to share it. cynthia finished eating her bacon pretty quickly and turned back around in her seat to finish her bracelet. she then realised that it had fallen on the floor and slammed her head on the table. "to be honest, i was saving it for your great escape." this caught cynthia's attention as she lifted her head from the table, directing an accusatory glance at diego. "what is she talking about, diego?"

"in fact cynthia i'm not too sure, what are you talking about?" diego reassured cynthia that he had no idea what lila was talking about. he turned to lila and tilted his head at her when she wouldn't answer him. cynthia gave her a look from behind diego as well, as if to say, 'just tell us what you mean, lila, you make no sense.'

"just saying whatever it is you're planning, i can be very resourceful." cynthia just sighed and shook her head, another thing she wouldn't be involved in. she was always deemed by lila as 'too anxious' to do anything with her and diego, even if it is literally using scissors in arts and crafts. "look, even if i was planning something, and i am not, you would be the last person i would take. i'd take cynthia over you any day." this brightened cynthia's mood slightly. although she still wanted to know if what lila said was true and diego was planning an escape.

"it's because of the jell-os, right? you can have them back." ah yes, the infamous jell-o incident. diego has never let it go to be honest, and it happened over a week ago. "no it's not because of the je- i'm a lone wolf. i don't run with a pack." as diego said the second half of his sentence he turned to glance at cynthia and regretted his word choice when he saw the look on her face. disappointment. she just wanted to be involved, especially with diego. "perfect. because i'm somewhat of a lone wolf myself."

cynthia wanted to say something but as the duo turned to look at her, her heart rate sped up causing her to sit back in her chair and sigh. "hargreeves, you have a visitor." the trio turned to look at the man who had announced this. cynthia then turned to diego in excitement and grabbed a hold of his arm. "who?" this was when cynthia became confused. diego hadn't seen his family in a while now. at least since he came in here. he spoke to cynthia about his family a lot, she acted as his therapist sometimes.

"i ain't your secretary." the man then sighed and walked to the door, waiting for diego to follow him. but he stayed in his seat and pondered for a moment. so did the two girls on either side of him. lila only knew about diego's relationship (or lack there of) with his father, whereas cynthia knew the ins and outs of his relationships with his whole family. "maybe daddy finally came to say, 'i love you'." cynthia gasped and would've hit lila's arm if she was closer.

"lila don't say such awful things, he might stab you." cynthia then turned to diego to make sure he'd actually heard the man and realised that he did have to go and see who this visitor was. diego began muttering under his breath about the impossibility of his father sitting in that room. cynthia decided not to comment on that. instead she began worrying that this might be the last time she sees diego in a while, she never said or did anything though. she just watched him go.

lila grabbed the bracelet diego was making as cynthia got up to go and have another smoke. as diego walked away cynthia sighed. she just wished the other two weren't so infatuated with eachother so she could have a chance. she didn't like diego like that but every girl likes to have dream scenarios they can think of whilst they're laying awake and trying to get to sleep. and cynthia's just so happened to include diego, as of recently.

cynthia's mind wandered to who was in the room with diego. it could be one of the siblings he'd told her about. although cynthia doubted it because diego had told her they hadn't been in touch for a while before he was admitted here. she then caught her mind thinking back to the time they met. she'd had such a random burst of confidence that morning. she was grateful she'd had that confidence because normally when a new person enters cynthia just admires them from the corner whilst trying to get her legs to stop shaking.

maybe it was his dad in there? no surely not. not after all those years of torment. would he come back for more? surely not. that is next level asshole.

maybe it's his youngest brother who diego had described as 'having the mindset of the oldest sibling' that confused cynthia as normally younger siblings are whiny and annoying, not mature and thoughtful.

although it could also be the sister who was told she was nothing special. cynthia doubted that. this sibling intrigued cynthia the most. why wasn't she special? she played the violin how much more special could you get?!

maybe it was the brother who was built like a skyscraper and had dreams of visiting the moon. he'd finally come to apologise for all the years of trying to one up diego. maybe not. maybe he'd come to try and one up him yet again and prove that he was the best sibling because he didn't have mental issues.

maybe it was the brother who was an addict. why wasn't he in here? cynthia bet he'd be a load of fun. apparently he had the best outfits and diego definitely has a soft spot for him.

or could it be the sister who alway sided with mr asshole brother. apparently they had a thing for eachother. gag. cynthia was so deeply disturbed by that. it actually kept her up at night.

maybe it's the brother who was quiet and always tried to include the violin girl. although cynthia doubted that as diego said he 'was as good as dead'. what did he do to deserve that title?

whoever it was, cynthia hoped and prayed that they went easy on her diego.

:・゚✧:・゚✧

AUTHORS NOTE...
okay we are getting into the juicy stuff now ain't we. i loved writing that little bit at the end so much in the original that i decided to keep it in the rewrite. this is also my first a/n since season three and BOY. i have no idea how cynthia is going to fit into it. we'll just have to see, maybe i'll kill her off. jk. anyways ily all <3
:・゚✧:・゚✧ jess