Flower Vase: Chapter 13

City A was famed for its bamboo.

The scenic area in the suburbs had a sprawling sea of bamboo, the scenery lovely, and the views unparalleled. In autumn, the bamboo leaves fluttered by, although it made for a rather forlorn sight, it had a distinctly serene beauty. Especially at night, when the hazy moonlight spilled through the bamboo forest, and the rustling of the bamboo could be heard as the winds blew past.

Gu Yan's film crew had chosen this place for the on-site shooting.

While the view was decent, the living conditions at the hotel were a tad disappointing. Gu Yan was the most well taken care of and had gotten a single room. The assistant, Xiao Chen, and the make-up artist were squished into a room together right next to his. Every day, they scampered in and out about him and were quite diligent.

Gu Yan wasn't too sharp at acting out emotional scenes, he was always scolded about how his expressions were so stiff that he was like a wooden beauty. But because he was in good shape, he was pretty passable at handling action sequences. Most of his movements were on point, that, along with the lovely background of the bamboo forest, meant that the filmed results were stunning. Even the director complimented him several times out of the blue. Xiao Chen chattered even more than usual about how handsome he was, how once this was broadcast, his female fans would swoon at the sight.

Gu Yan still had the same attitude, when he was scolded, he wouldn't make a peep, when he was praised, he would only smile. At night, the people from the film crew would make plans to go out somewhere and party, but he rarely joined in. When he finished eating dinner, he would just go back to his hotel room to rest.

Qin Zhiyuan called him every night.

There weren't any special topics to talk about, he would only chat casually about whatever he did that day. Sometimes, he could talk about this and that for about half an hour. Sometimes, by the time Gu Yan finished work and got back, it would already be midnight, but he still insisted on calling, at times only exchanging a few words, and saying a simple good night.

Gu Yan really liked the sound of breathing transmitted through the phone after they finished saying their good night's.

Qin Zhiyuan always waited for him to hang up first.

On a silent night like this, neither of them could see the mask worn on the other's face. There were two cities' worth of distance between them, but it was as if they had gotten closer.

That day, Gu Yan had gotten slightly injured while filming.

It had been a fight scene, the prop sword had hacked at the bamboo then bounced back and hit him square on the arm. It wasn't a very serious wound. It didn't even draw any blood and was just a bit swollen. Gu Yan paid no mind to it, he rubbed at his arm then continued with the next scene. It only started to ache by the time he returned to the hotel that night.

He went out himself and bought a bottle of rubbing alcohol to treat it. Later, when he was on the phone with Qin Zhiyuan, he casually mentioned this event.

Qin Zhiyuan immediately advised him, "No matter how hard you work, you still need to take care of yourself."

Gu Yan felt it was much ado about nothing, he said, "An injury like this is just routine to me."

Qin Zhiyuan was quiet for a while on the other side of the phone, his low voice was even softer than usual when he said, "That was before."

"Hmm?"